Destroy-it-yourself

What does "lift" mean in this context?

Reply to
Huge

Andrew Gabriel wibbled on Tuesday 04 May 2010 13:27

Wow - that's a lot less than I'd thought. On that basis, I could be looking at a low few hundred for back and front all in - certainly worth getting some quotes. Also worth having replacement windows at the ready too, do them at the same time. Though I'd planned to manage those from the inside, it would be simpler to have easy access to both sides.

Thank you for the detailed info Andrew. A few hundred vs broken bones or worse is pretty good value for money.

That's also useful. I have loads of spare tiles, now I cleared the garden (they were everywhere!). Probably left over from the original dormer conversion...

Good tip. Didn;t know that was an option.

Cheers!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

A horizontal working area with planks, guard rails, ladder access, etc. So 3 lifts is 3 horizontal working/storage areas. In this case, the 3 were designed for soffit/roof access, upstairs window access, and access to the lower porch/bay roof/soffits.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ahh, thank you. I have learned something new today.

Reply to
Huge

It is quite heavy, particularly if it bogs down in your lawn. ;-) With two people I wouldn't have thought it would be too hard. I was working on my own.

Just make sure that there is the specified width available for the legs. They have to be fully extended and the legs firmly settled before the motors will work.

Also handy to take a mobile phone with you for when you've not screwed a leg down as tightly as you should have, extended the arm fully and then find that the motors have cut out as the micro-switch on one leg have cut out due to the shift in load leaving you stranded at the top. BTDTGTTS.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I have never got as far as getting stuck on one of them. The tilt warning system has always kicked in.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It was the tilt warning system that cut the power. The trouble was, it only happend when the arm was at full extension & reach and wouldn't let me down.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Its ok if the ladder sails past the roof level by a metre or more -then you have something to hold onto.

Reply to
John Rumm

Tim Downie wibbled on Tuesday 04 May 2010 17:07

In essence I would have to traverse it in two straight directions, each about 10m. It might be possible to assist it with a block and tackle round one of my many trees.

That's no problem - lots of clearance boths sides.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Is that electric?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Runs off a rechargeable battery.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Fair enough. Thankfully the one I used did let me pull the arm back in.

Until you posted I had never given a thought about getting stuck up there.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth