Danish oil won't dry (!)

I've been treating some oak with Danish oil. The first time around, 5 coats, one a day, and each dried fine until the final surface was sealed and has just a little sheen. The second piece, treated the same way, has ended up with a glossy gloopy-ish finish that is still tacky to the touch after a week. I was hoping it would have dried to the point where I could sand the glossiness off but clearly that's off the cards for the moment. So, the questions:

Did I put some of the coats on too quickly or was it just that the final coat was a bit thick? The surface was dry before I added more but it had been soaking up the oil so I did dollop it on a bit. Is there anything I can do to move this job along? I thought of trying to wipe the gloomy gooey coat off with white spirit or something, but I don't want to make more of a c*ck of it than is already the case(!)

Reply to
GMM

Too thick

Yes

Then try and dry it. Dry, warm, wait a week.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks Andy - the white spirit took it back by the equivalent of a coat or two very easily, so I'll try to be less heavy handed when I give it another go next week!

Reply to
GMM