Cutting a copper pipe...

Any tips as to an easy way when it's running up a wall tight in an internal corner?

Did eventually do it with a combination of Dremmel type thingie and padsaw. But there must be an easier way. No chance of getting even the smallest pipe cutter in there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Neat job: cut elsewhere and replace a large section of pipe & joints

Bodge job: Jigsaw with sole plate removed

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Wire saw?

it will cut nails so I don't suppose a copper pipe will present too much of a problem. Probably wouldn't be a neat cut though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Mutleymaster. It's the business for pipes in awkward corners.

Failing that, as it's only copper, then a hacksaw blade with a bit of gaffer wrapped around to make a slimline handle.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I bought the Bosch version - PMF 180 a couple of months ago and it would be good for a job like this.

Used it in a few awkward places and have been very happy with the results. Used it to cut some damaged plastic guttering 2 floors up and it made a nice clean cut which would have been tricky with a hacksaw.

Only problem I've had is when I let the wife use the sander attachment. The rubber sanding pad is now split and pretty knackered - although I'm not sure if the root of the problem lay with the pad or the wife

cheers

David

Reply to
DM

Those Fein multimaster things might do the trick. I know someone who's got one and have been meaning to find an excuse to borrow it for a try-out on copper pipe and floorboards.

A sole-less jigsaw is likely to snag on the pipe unless you can wedge it away from the wall a centimetre or two. Depending how much you can pry it out from the corner might you be able to get a pipeslice on it?

Reply to
John Stumbles

Yup, second that. The bimetal blades will lop off pipes in otherwise impossible positions (needed to trim a couple of inches off the end of a

40mm waste pipe that was surrounded on three sides by other pipes. Just plunge cut straight through with the Fein.

For floorboards, a few plunge cuts across the board works a treat - just take it easy if you know there is a pipe right under it! With Tongue and Groove then you can use the segment saw to rip along the tongue. That is very neat, but quite slow.

A reciprocating saw with a hacksaw blade works as well - just cut with the tip. Using a long blade its easier to get into a corner than a jigsaw.

Reply to
John Rumm

Where's Drivel when you need him?

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Wiresaws are good for this, but avoid the silverline ones.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Down the shops, buying sandbags and a dehumidifier...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Difficult! It's usually easiest to demolish the wall.

Seriously, the suggestion to cut out and replace a larger section of pipe - avoiding cutting in the corner - is the best one. Otherwise, what are you going to do when you've cut it? There's precious little access for cleaning it up and attaching another fitting to it. Even if you use something like Cuprofit, you *got* to get rid of any external burrs left by the cutting exercise.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Desolder the pipe at the joints.

Who is this genius. ;-)

Reply to
George

In message , Frank Erskine writes

prolly been sectioned again

Reply to
geoff

Angle grinder?

Reply to
mick

No help as accessibility equally as limited above and below.

Not a problem. Used one of those strips of abrasive wrapped round it and there was room for a end feed fitting. Once a pipe is cut it can always be sprung a little anyway.

I only use copper and end feed. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Then drill it with a wide drill bit on slow mode setting,this way there will be enough pipe to connect a female coupling. ;-)

Reply to
George

mick coughed up some electrons that declared:

To cut out the wall so you can get a pipecutter on it?

My coat also, if you please Jeeves...

Reply to
Tim S

Well pleased with mine as well (the Bosch, not the wife). I've used the sander attachment a lot & mines still going strong. Handy for me as I now don't have to carry a sander, the Bosch does both cutting & sanding.

I was surpried at how good it is a sanding.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Been replaced by Tanner 'op.

Reply to