Cutting 110 mm PVC pipe

What is the best way to cut 110mm PVC pipe?

I can use a mitre saw when the pipe is free, i.e. not installed.

But, what about when the pipe is in place, i. e. installed?

Is an angle grinder the normal tool?

Is it important to bevel the edges of the cut?

Reply to
asalcedo

I use a junior hacksaw when cutting downpipe to install a rainwater interceptor.

Reply to
Tim Streater

A Fein or similar. If you cannot get all the way around, make 2 vertical cuts and remove a section of waste so that you can Fein cut the remainder from the inside surface. I've done that in a tight corner and it worked well.

If you don't happen to have a Fein (etc), I suspect it could be done with a circular saw cutting bit on a dremel-like device - watch your fingers, face and other body parts though - I got a minor injury from one of those that jumped back (which the tiny circular saws are prone to do). Not much, but it undercut a flap of skin on my thumb about 5mm and hurt like f*ck for days.

Reply to
Tim Watts

A normal hand saw.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

[1]

But now he has no excuse to buy a tool :-0

[1] And on this point which I missed - certainly clean up the inside and outside edges or bits of swarf will get trapped in the seal. Coarse file if posible or sandpaper.

A bevel is nice if using pushfit, but if it's hard to do, use lots of lubricant (silicone oil spray or washing up liquid) and it should be fine. After it's on, it no longer matters, but a bit of a bevel does help assembly.

For solvent weld, it is not relevant, but cleaning the swarf and rough bits off is still a good idea.

Reply to
Tim Watts

If its in a trench then a flexible saw e.g ebay 390032747564

Reply to
Ghostrecon

I think a junior hacksaw would struggle on a 110mm diameter pipe, unless you can get all the way round and do it in short sections. A handsaw is a better bet, having first wrapped some Gaffa tape round on the cut line to act as a guide and help keep things square.

As others have said, a bevel is highly desirable if using push-fit fittings. Lubricate with washing-up liquid to make assembly easier.

Reply to
Roger Mills

And me

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

TBH I expected to struggle too with that but no problem. SWMBO taped the diverter instructions round the pipe so I cut to that and used the saw blade to roughly clean up the edge of the downpipe. I used the same saw to cut 125mm plastic air duct with no particular trouble.

Yes, our plumber kept borrowing the washing up liquid for that purpose. Obviously with what he was doing, bevels, lubrication, and a better cut were essential.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The glue is a solvent - and assuming things are clean, nothing will remove it. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)