curtain question

If I want a pair of curtains to cover an area of 1900mm x 1370mm (75" x

54"), should I therefore assume that a given curtain will be half the width it is advertised as? For example, in this case, should I be looking for a pair of approx. 1 meter curtains with a 1370mm or more drop, or a pair of approx. 2m curtains with the same drop?

al

I've been caught out by SWIMBO on this before. I think curtains have 'ruffles' or have to be 'ruffled' so to cover a given width you need an extra 25% or something. Not sure what exactly a 'pair' of curtains is either. Suffice it to say, curtain are a trap for the unsuspecting male.

Womans work if you ask me. Go to the shop with the aperture measurements and try the 'little boy lost' approach on a female sales assistant.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

I found a guide at last that says an extra 1.5 to 2 times the total width for the flat width of both curtains together. I believe if I read it correctly, that a pack always contains a pair and the quoted size *I think* is for one curtain. And *I think* that size is the flat size. So in theory, double it and divide by 1.5 to find out if it's the right size .... ish ....

LOL ... unfortunately in this case, I'm trying to pick up a cheap pair online (eBay, etc.) for the kids room rather than pay showroom prices. Can't seem to find any lined ones though. May just go with a blind on the window and a cheap curtain over.

al

I can't comment on how different brands of curtains are sold, i.e., whether the size quoted is per curtain or per pair but I think there should usually be some indication on the packaging and the shop person should certainly be able to help you. What you should bear in mind, however, is that standard advice is to allow 1.5 or 2 window widths so that your curtains look nice and full - by which I mean you don't want a piece of material that fits the window exactly, without hanging in pleats, as it doesn't look very nice and tends not to block light as well. So, if your window was 1m wide, you should buy two curtains that are preferably each a metre wide, or at least 0.75m each (actually, I think I normally just do one and a half and it seems to look OK, so twice the width is maybe overkill).

Hope that helps,

Helen

Reply to
hemulen27

Usually, you require a curtain width of 2.3 - 3 times the window width including the desired side overhang. Depends on the rufflette tape though.

The modern man takes curtains in his stride.

There's a calculator at

how to measure up at

Owain

Total width of curtains (as bought) must be greater than the window width, or they'll look "skimped", but be careful about overdoing it, particularly if the curtains hang within the window recess. Too much width and a narrowish window, and you'll finish up with only a narrow strip of daylight up the middle when they're open. Total width 1.5 times length of the _rail_ isn't going to be too far off.

Reply to
Autolycus

See - I told you it was a trap.

Dave