Croydon Tram

If you have a network running some large bit of infrastructure, that is what you use it for. You'll have to explain why there's any necessity to connect it to the wider Internet. Answer: there isn't. If you don't so connect it, it can't be hacked.

Of course people might try to do things on the cheap and not have their own private network. But I'd call such networks mandatory for e.g the railways, power.

What *are* you talking about?

Reply to
Tim Streater

You really would be surprised if I answered that truthfully.

Reply to
dennis

I'm sure we all know Turnip longs for bygone days, but BR ceased to exist some 15 years ago.

I'm sure their 'own' private network going into all the various companies that now make up what was BR would go down very well. Nice and easy to find out what your competitor is about to bid for the next franchise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How things are done in the real world.

BTW, given you are such an expert on all things computer, how come your 'answers' appear to have been written before the 'question'?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How would they be able to find out that? Do you really think its hard to avoid hacking on the network even if you don't own it? As a hint you just have to reduce the attack surface to a minimum and then protect that. I.e. don't shove a windows machine on there if all you want is to send private data to another location. You will find it extremely difficult to access machines on a VPN unless you have access to machines on that VPN which if you want security you won't have. The System X control and billing hasn't been hacked yet and its been years since I did it. Why because its the real world and not Hollywood where a hacker can access everything from one terminal. To do so the hacker would need to gain access to the network which is difficult, he would have to hack the encryption which is difficult, he would have to hack the user security which is difficult, he would have to hack the encryption on the data being transferred (yes the data is encrypted as well as the network, we don't want any BT people knowing what's going on). And that's as far as I am going to go, there are other security measures that are best left unmentioned.

Reply to
dennis

V4 is STILL reasonably available.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It wasn't written in the Guardian, or invented by Marx?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is a bit sad.

The railway netowork is a massive place to route fibre.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If that's in the plan, then yes, that would defo be the way to go. Renumbering? Yes, I agree - having had experience of trying to renumber a class-B back in the late 80s.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , at 12:42:17 on Sun, 13 Nov 2016, Tim Streater remarked:

The simple answer (today) is: because one day you might want to connect to the Internet and you don't want to have to renumber your network.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 09:25:57 on Mon, 14 Nov 2016, Tim Streater remarked:

The people who invented the IP address scheme were of the opinion that even if you didn't have that plan originally, it could well materialise later. Thus even non-interconnected networks should have globally unique addresses.

rfc1918 (I count two of its authors as colleagues) and precursors are a

*much* later kludge to stave off impending address space exhaustion.
Reply to
Roland Perry

Tram and railway tracks are different in fundamental ways.

Reply to
fred

I'm not a frequent passenger on public transport but recently on a trip to Dusseldorf I used their excvellent tram system a lot. What astonished me wa s both the acceleration from rest, which threw crumbly me off balance once or twice when standing, and the speed they achieved on City streets and roa ds. (I took a tram out to Schloss Benrath, a distance of 12km, predominantl y through built-up areas)

Reply to
fred

That's why address translation was invented Roland.

Doh!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Humph. Search me. Computer clock is set automatically, TZ is GMT, and news client doesn't seem to have an option to "fiddle" the clock.

FYI, I'm sending this at 11.24.

Reply to
Tim Streater

FTFY

Tram and railway tracks are different in detailed ways. Fundamentally they are of course the same.

And its possible to interoperate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , at 10:21:06 on Mon, 14 Nov

2016, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

No. The people running the IP address space loathe NAT with a passion (they say it breaks the end-to-end principle).

NAT is just another kludge to stave off address space exhaustion.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Your recent posts - and only yours - are appearing in a thread here in order before the ones you're replying to. Suggesting your computer time is wrong.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Possibly a bug in Thoth, then, as the clock now says 11:40 and Time/Date in System Prefs says GMT.

In a Terminal window, I just did:

$php -a Interactive shell

php > date_default_timezone_set ('Europe/London'); php > $seconds = date_offset_get(new DateTime); php > echo "\n" . 'Offset: ' . $seconds . "\n";

Offset: 0 php >

So if there's an issue, I'd point the finger at Thoth. Anyway I'll enquire.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And the header claims "11:24:07 +0100"

So most clients will display it as 10:24

Reply to
Andy Burns