Croydon Tram

I'd guess Turnip doesn't know the difference between a train and tram - and certainly hasn't been on a Croydon one. It travels down ordinary streets too. Mostly pedestrian only zones. Very different from a tube train.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thus slowing down the already tight schedule even more. And it's that tight schedule likely to blame for the accident.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If he's awake (which seems to be one line of speculation)

Reply to
Andy Burns

50mph, according to one report.
Reply to
Nightjar

I clearly didn't mean "at any point in the tunnel" literally. I meant "at any point in the tunnel and the distance after that travelled before the system would reacquire satellites, establish position, and slow the tram after emerging".

I am not actually designing a safety system, so why are people being so pedantic?

Reply to
GB

Because that is exactly what you are doing. Designing a safety system.

IN this case the issue resolves to 'how to ensure the train cant take a curve faster than is safe' and 'if it does and falls over, how can the passengers be protected from flying glass'

Given that a $5 32 bit microprocessor is more diligent and aware and fault proof than the average RMT member, the answer would seem to be to replace the drivers with microprocessors.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes I wondered how that happened although some reports said teh glass in teh doors smashed so maybe some were thrown through the glass.

I wonder how crowded it was at 6am. Apparently the servcce runs fast due to the amount oif trains needed to shift the nymber of pasengers, I wonder how increased immigration of refuugees economic migrants and others will improve this situation of overcrowding.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Oh, does that mean somebody is going to pay me? Hooray!

Reply to
GB

having trains OR buses would be the best option, have a half way thing were cars go along the same road is asking for problems.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You've been reading the Daily Heil again.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No watching victorian slums and being able to think for myself.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The crash occurred on segregated "railway track" rather than on a place where the tracks run alongside the road, so it's the same as any other train crash. OK, so trams, like Dockland Light Railway trains, are much shorter vehicles and can negotiate much tighter turns than normal trains, but that's the only difference between this situation and any other train.

I wonder if the track has a check rail on the tight curve, like is used on very tight curves on ordinary railways. This is a third rail, just beyond the running rail on the outside of the curve, which helps to restrain a vehicle which has become derailed. Maybe that, in conjunction with a "crash barrier" that helped to keep a derailed vehicle upright, would have helped.

One of the problems is that the curves at Sandilands are exceptionally tight because they were introduced when the old railway was modified for trams. Originally trains went straight on under Addiscombe Road, but now in both directions they turn sharply to follow a brand new bit of track which leads to Sandilands station and then onto the section that runs alongside the road. Hence the low speed limit on the right-angle curve.

Some form of speed control would have prevented it. From the reports, I'm not sure whether the tram was going too fast on the straight section, or whether it was going at the correct speed on the straight approach but failed to slow down enough for the curve. The latter could have been due to slippery rails because of fallen leaves. On the other hand, some witnesses have said that the driver appeared to be asleep... I don't know whether trams have any form of vigilance device (as trains do) that the driver needs to press within n seconds of an alarm which sounds periodically, to prove that he is still alert.

Reply to
NY

It does take a very special type of person to blame immigration for every woe.

Perhaps you think they'd run the same service with the trams only half full at best?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The speed limit for the curve was IIRC 12 mph. Given the speed the trams normally run at when possible (about 50 mph), I'd say it failed to slow down enough, if at all. So either driver or equipment failure. Vox pops on the day mentioned a loud screeching noise. Just what you'd get from wheels on rails being overloaded. Others mentioned they thought the trams often travelled too fast on this curve.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most train tracks I see have fences along them.

they are trains driverless so not reliant on a driver. I know because I sometime use DLR.

No theres others, which hopefully will become apparent.

why would it if it;s a tram it;s NOT a train.

What do you mean by vehicle a boat ?

Lots of things might have helped such as not going as fast as it seems to have been going. Most of the roads around me have 20MPH speed limits

If those speeds were observed then the crash might not have happened.

Like they have on trains but not trams.

Yeah sure in the tunnel ?

At 6am it;s pretyy dark I;m not sure how much anyone would see when looking intoi a cab while in a tunnel.

Reply to
whisky-dave

It's called a clever person.

according to those that know staff have a timetable to keep to, as to why they need to travel fast to keep within that tiometable needs to be understood.

Reply to
whisky-dave

If you thought that for yourself, there really is no hope for you.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Why not prove your point with facts then, you can't. Have you ever heard of supply and demand, didn't think so.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You are merely speculating. In your post-Brexit world, surely the population will fall.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Why would it fall ?

Reply to