Creased Leather

Not too O/T I hope, but can anyone suggest how to get creases out of a leather jacket? It's a new one, and has been folded in a box with the result that the collar has two creases in which don't lie flat when I wear it. I've tried pressing it for a few days under some weights but that didn't work.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Kevin Green

Cant help with your problem but DO NOT iron it out.

I think you're going to massage it out? a cold iron and a towel over the leaher.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The method I have heard used is a two-stage process involving cold and heat. Firstly find a suitable flat area to work at. Use an ironing board etc. Lay out your jacket flat and get an ice block or freezer pack (frozen) and a tea towel or other absorbent cloth. Lay the tea towel over the crease (double thickness for best protection) and put the ice pack on top. Leave it like this for 10-15 mins but keep checking to make sure the leather is not getting wet.

Remove the ice and turn your iron on to a low heat (the wool setting) with no steam. With the tea towel still protecting the leather gently press the crease flat. Don't leave the iron on there for too long though because it will singe the leather.

Repeat the process if necessary. The crease should then relax out and become a lot less noticeable.

Reply to
Me

As you say it's new, I would take it back and exchange it, rather than risk damaging it further!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Why should they change it for another? it was his fault not hanging it up in the first place. Unless it came in a box, that would make a difference?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Sorry, I assumed it came in the aforementioned box - maybe the OP can clarify?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks