corrugated metal roof leaking

My corrugated metal roofed shed / garage was leaking this morning through s ome of the fixing holes (they are in the top of the corrugations !). It doe s not usually. Possibly the winds lifted it slightly and the melting frost was not running away like water does. Anyway, I shall have to do something probably later in the year. I think it will just be squares of flashband over the holes, but any other ideas ? I could squirt some foam in the leaking holes for now. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Are you sure it was the roof leaking, and not just condensation on the underside of the roof dripping down? Last night was a cold night in some parts of the UK.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

h some of the fixing holes (they are in the top of the corrugations !). It does not usually. Possibly the winds lifted it slightly and the melting fro st was not running away like water does.

it will just be squares of flashband over the holes, but any other ideas ?

Didn't seem like it, but its possible. I'll have to keep an eye on it. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I assume that the roof is so old/rotted that a gentle tightening down of the fixing bolts is not an option?

The seal is normally from the washer under the head of the bolt being pressed against the roof.

If they have become loose over time that would explain the leak.

If the bolts still work, then replacing the washers may be all that is needed.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

The roof timbers seem fine and it gets plenty of ventilation. I'll have to get up there and have a good luck. Any easy enough to test with a hose ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I assume you have checked for rust near the holes have you. I've had no end of issues like this in the past. The galvanising is not a cure all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I know the roof was re-done before we bought the house 7 years ago. I am wondering if they used the correct bolt and sealing washer arrangement. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Corrugated metal roofs are vulnerable to excessive moisture and damage from strong winds. The individual panels are attached to wood or metal trusses with steel nails or screws that can rust and cause leaks. Strong winds can separate the overlapping edges of the panels and allow the roof to leak. Fi xing leaks in a corrugated metal roof starts with locating the source of th e leaks. From there, the method used to fix a particular leak depends on th e cause.

emma.watson335