cordless drill

Hi All My powerdevil 12volt cordless drill has now died. What cheap, =A340 or less drill do you recomend. I have a mains hammer drill so do not need hammer action in=20 the new cordless.

Thanks for any advice Mike

Reply to
mike

Thanks for any advice Mike

Mike,

When my decent cordless died a couple of year ago, as an interim measure I bought Wickes's own brand to get by. OK it's not fantastic but it's still going and has done a heck of a lot of work.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Either Aldi or Lidl have just had a "special" on ISTR a cordless drill, worth a look to see whether any are still in stock (unless I'm mistaken & it's an upcoming promo). Got to be as good as what you've had blow up. I've a cordless I think I bought from Aldi, last year, usefully with two batteries and a 1-hr charger for £25, it's OK.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

You can't go wrong with Wickes stuff. The DIY range (black) is cheap enough and resonably well made, with a 2 yr guarantee. The Pro grey drills are made by top makers and rebadged. Kress do the SDS drils. Try the 15.6v drill drive/angle drill (made by Kress). Normally £130 down to £95 for a while but will go up again. Well worth and class drill. A battery angle drill will cost you £100 minimum alone. This is two in one.

For £25 Aldi have a drill/driver with a Johnson motor. Well made and 3 year guarantee. Best go now as it is a special.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Wickes have a deal on a 15.6 v DD fpr about £20 at present, or two power tols for £25.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Argos, forget the quips about Aldi and anything under £25.

for 3 powertool items in aldi, how sad

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Doctor Drivel wrote: [snip]

You mean the sad drill and driver plus power light? oh please! £8.33p for a powertool when you work it out.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

What i would like to know is...

Why Aldi don't sell their power tools in the US and Aussie land? or is it just that this country don't give a stuff about importing cheap garbage.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

What makes you think they don't?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

though. The cordless with two batteries and and a 1hr. charger I got from Aldi last year for £25 *is* usable, and continues to be so.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

No, £25 for one excellent quality power drill.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I think the drill is German.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I very much doubt it, it's probably made in China. However, many Bosch, Makita, etc. tools are also Chinese in origin.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The current Aldi drill has a Johnson motor, which is top quality. This is a decent drill, no doubt.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I was looking for a cordless drill driver type thing for around the same price point. I actually spent a little more at B and Q but bought a 4 tool power pack with other tools I was also hanckering after. The tools are made by MAc Allister (for B and Q). I got 18v cordless tools

- a drill (which does have hammer action even though though do not require it), a multi saw, a corless nailer and a torch. There were two batteries and a 1 hour charger and carry case. The whole lot cost a reasonable =A365 (reduced from =A399).

The tools seem like good quality and have a three year garuntee. Not sure exactly where they are made but all the stamps on the indicate that they are British.

Reply to
swinster

I had the forerunner of this rechargeable Bosch found at Argos. Very good spec - 12V, keyless, reversible, varispeed at about £40 from Great Mills over10 years ago. But when the accumulator failed several years later, I was quoted £42 at several places for its replacement. So I binned it.

Next ones came from Wickes at about £17 and Robert Dyas at £21 each over 12V with two powerpacks. One was a prezzie. I advise u to buy a drill with two heavy accumulators (batteries to you) supplied as standard at the outset. Check if the Aldi drill on offer has got 2 powerpacks. Jim

Reply to
Jim Gregory

So what if they're only =A38.33 each? If someone wants a budget drill driver it will probably do the job for light drilling work. The OP is after something budget after all and doesn't want to drill masonry

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Go on then, amuse us by telling us all where this Johnson motor is made.

Reply to
Matt

You should of kept it and bought a new model of the same voltage and 1 month later taken it back with duff batty attached and asked them for a replacement drill as the batty is not holding it's charge. ;-)