Copying a gear?

Trying to fix a Braun fruit juicer which has an intermediate gear with stripped teeth (made of plastic, so built-in obsolescence. No surprise there)

I have the Braun part number (67050175) and am trying to source a replacement gear, but if I can't get hold of it, is there a service available whereby I could send in the failed gear for copying, preferably in metal? It's intact except for approximately half a dozen stripped teeth.

Seems unlikely but doesn't hurt to ask.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Are there materials suitable for 3D-printing this part yet?

Reply to
GB

HPC Gears Davall Gears Muffet Gears

Are three suppliers I've used in the past, who have extensive stock gears in their catalogues. Goggle will find them easily

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

On Wednesday 29 January 2014 12:09 Mike Tomlinson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

It's a long shot but there is a gear factory near me (Tunbridge Wells):

They do bespoke stuff.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'd guess it would cost far more to make a one off than a new unit complete.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

3d printing might be de rigueur at the moment, but aren't there more traditional ways of achieving the same result? Lost wax casting maybe?
Reply to
Graham.

It's possible to 3D print nylon, which presumably the original gear was made of.

You can also 3D print stainless steel if you want something more robust:

Materials are charged per cm3 so don't expect it to be cheap...

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I had two replacement gear wheels for a 3/4" pillar drill made for 2 packs of 20 cigarettes once:-)

I turned the blanks (paxolene or similar) and a gentleman in the Millwrights shop did the hobbing. The benefits of middle management in a large manufacturer:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In article , Andrew Mawson writes

Found a UK supplier for the original Braun part but they want 7 quid plus 6 quid carriage plus VAT... for a crappy little plastic gear

Found a US supplier at $1.14 (that's more like it) but S&H makes it a total of $41!

HPC above offer a service where you send in your broken one and they quote for a replacement, so I've done that. Thanks for the heads-up!

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

Probably, but Andrew Mawson's post leads me to think it might be a standard commodity part available off the shelf and not a bespoke part.

I've sent the stripped gear to one of the companies he listed to see if they can supply a replacement (and if so, if a metal alternative is available).

Cheers all!

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I hope that it works out for you Mike. I suspect making one though will be considerably more than £13 plus VAT !

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

A friend had a gearbox lay shaft made for his Morris 1100 in the engineering shop at his place of employment; Rolls Royce Aero Engines.

Reply to
Huge

Sadly often the case. But I'd be surprised if you could get one made specially for less. You'd also have to be sure it hasn't stripped because of a fault elsewhere.

The land of competition and free enterprise doesn't seem to be able to simply put something like that in a Jiffy bag and a letter box. As we'd do here - even for overseas.

If it's a standard part used elsewhere you might well be in luck.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

I'm hoping it's a standard part. If not, I'll probably bin the unit. It's not worth spending 13 quid (for the original part) on.

only me being too heavy-handed with the fruit

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

How robust are the bronze cold casting resins?

Can you make a RTV mould from the existing gear?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Google for your local model engineering society, wherein you inevitably will find someone who cuts, or else hobs, gears.

But you'll need to know how many teeth, the DP or Module, and the pressure angle.

Reply to
gareth

And no doubt on next day delivery, for some reason foreigners always rose to the top of the priority list.

Reply to
fred

On Wednesday 29 January 2014 14:23 Dave Plowman (News) wrote in uk.d-i- y:

Had the same with a Ryobi strimmer hedge cutting attachment - plastic gear stripped. Part cost a fortune (more than the OP's).

Net result - Ryobi's cheapness ensures I will never buy one of their products ever. Well done on that 40p you saved...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Junk it. Buy a different make. The part is likely to cost an arm and a leg even if available. Stuff is not intended to be fixed these days.

.
Reply to
harryagain

The part is available for £13 delivered, according to the OP. That sounds cheaper to me than any aternative other than stripping another one for parts.

Reply to
John Williamson