Fruit Juicer for eye problem

It's saying on some websites that the juice from carrots may be of help with Eye Cataracts.

Argos catalogue has two reasonable priced ones of page 699. One is £19.99 and the other is £29.99.

Would anyone have experience of using these particular juicers and would recommend one for using with carrots. Since someone said that carrots are among the more difficult things to juice satifactorarily.

Reply to
john morgan

It's saying on some websites that Jesus is coming to a a supermarket near you, as well.

no idea what ours is, but it mashes most things with violent rapidity.

However most of the guff talked about carrots is exactly that. Guff.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The carrots myth was deliberate disinformation released during WW2. It was intended to hide from the Krauts the fact that that all their messages to Uboats were being decoded with the Bombe and Colossus machines at Bletchley Park. The lie was that a diet of carrots enabled the Coastal Command air crews to see in the dark.

Seventy years on, the myth still lives! Heh Heh! To the gullible anyway.

Fat lot you know. DoctorExclusive

carrots are helpful for cataracts.

Reply to
john south

You can find lots of other jokes on websites too! What are you supposed to do with it, bath in it?

Stop reading rubbish, go to your GP and get him/her to refer you to a consultant.

If you are worried about the op - particularly if you are thinking of someone who had it many years ago - stop worrying and start looking forward to it!

Local anaesthetic, takes less than half an hour. The cartaract is broken up with ultrasound and removed. A new plastic lens is slipped in to replace the old one and you end up with perfect distance vision - even if you needed glasses before.

I had the first one done about 3 years ago, just as the second one was starting to develop - and I couldn't wait to have that one done too!

After wearing glassses from the age of 14, I no longer need them at all for distance vision at the age of 66. However, I still need them for reading but because I'd been wearing bifocals for twenty years, I never had my reading glasses to hand when I needed them!

So I'm now wearin varifocals because having the the intermediate strength is ideal for the PC.

Reply to
Terry Casey

It's amazing what you can find on the web...

Unless you just happen to like carrot juice, why not look and see if you can find a *single* controlled trial of carrot juice for the treatment and prevention of cataracts.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

In message , john morgan writes

Paging Bugs Bunny

Reply to
geoff

Terry Casey ( snipped-for-privacy@example.invalid) wibbled on Sunday 13 March 2011 18:14:

How do you keep still with pointy tools coming towards your eyes - even if anaesthatised? Always wondered that.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The carrots myth was deliberate disinformation released during WW2. It was intended to hide from the Krauts the fact that that all their messages to Uboats were being decoded with the Bombe and Colossus machines at Bletchley Park. The lie was that a diet of carrots enabled the Coastal Command air crews to see in the dark.

Seventy years on, the myth still lives! Heh Heh! To the gullible anyway.

The version I grew up with was the myth was promulgated to cover up the fact that our air crews had magnetron powered radar sets.

Reply to
Graham.

We have one of these:

the pulp that comes out is quite dry - it makes really nice juice out of anything vaguely moist... (apple and carrot is qute nice) However you do have to chop the fruit, veg, etc. into small pieces before it will go through and there's always the cleaning afterwards...

And while not quite industrial quality, it did take most of a tree of bramleys last year, giving us nearly 20 litres of apple juice - and only overheated twice... (and took 2 of us the best part of a day)

As for the eyes... dunno - I'd see a doctor if they were mine!

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I thought it was to disguise the fact that we had airborne radar (Gee?).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

A WHOIS search for doctorexclusive.com show that the domain is registered to an individual, who provided a mailing address that belongs to a gas station in St. Petersburg, Florida.

I expect the information on the site is every bit as reputable as that address.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

An alternative story I've heard was that there was a surplus of carrots.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Indeed. My 86 year old mother-in-law had both done (a few months apart, with a hip replacement in between).

She said the only downside was finding out how dirty the kitchen floor was, and having to clean it!

Reply to
Bob Eager

That is the version I have always heard, although one use of airborne radar was to detect submarines on the surface at night.

BTW Gee was a navigation system.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , "Nightjar "@?.?.invalid> writes

Ah, yes. It was H2S, wasn't it?

Ian Jackson

And your evidence for believing that anyone medicalky qualified contributed to that site?

I take it you followed up all the references quoted in that piece?

Tim

Reply to
Tim

changing as the technology improved. H2S was a ground mapping bombing aid, while Night Fighters carried a short range air to air radar and were talked to within their radar range by controllers using ground based radar.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

And not a lot else to eat.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yup, I think that is closer to the truth - it was supposed to explain why our pilots were so effective at finding incoming aircraft and hide our progress on RADAR.

(whether this has anything to do with the role (if any) of carrots and cataracts is another matter!)

Reply to
John Rumm

It's also said, on some sites, that you get a better sound from your digital equipment if you pay a grand for a cable.

Is there actually any reliable evidence?

Reply to
Skipweasel