Trying to "fix" ceramic tile...

Wife gave her mom a couple of small "baskets" for her shower which are held in place with suction cups. Problem is, they slowly slide down until they run over a seam in the tile, and then let go. Am thinking of applying a light spritz of lacquer to the individual tilles in question(and letting it dry) in order to give the suction cups more friction, hoping to stop the sliding action. Any other ideas are welcome, and sought. Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

"Dave" wrote in news:6Zadnf_zpr4rx0nTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.internetamerica:

Apply the lacquer, and put the suction cup apll. in the wet lacquer.let thing dry then. Should fix them in place.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Take off suction cups and apply a dab of silicone caulk, tape in place until the caulk sets. Sil. is easy to scrape/cut off when no longer wanted on the tile. I've used miniscule amounts to put decorative doodads on my kitchen wall; never a problem removing it when I wanted to. It's also great to apply "pads" to objects that are inclined to scratch a table they are placed on - apply little dabs, level them with a wet finger, let set, voila (ya' don't put it on the table until it is set).

Reply to
Norminn

"Dave" wrote in news:6Zadnf_zpr4rx0nTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.internetamerica:

First step: Clean the tiles so they are are squeaky-clean and dry, with no soap film, or scum. Then clean the suction cups the same way. Any liquid (non-powder) bathroom cleaner should do. Or you can use rubbing alcohol. Use a cloth, sponge, etc., that's lint-free, so you don't get a build up of fuzz on the suction cup.

Now apply just a tiny bit of water or spit to the suction cups and try and make them stick again. Make sure they actually compress onto the tiles! Suction cups need to have a vacuum inside them in order to work. If they are not pressed-down hard enough, there may not be enough vacuum to hold them in place.

If the suction cups still slide, then any of these situations may pertain:

1) insufficient number of suction cups for the laden weight; 2) suction cups are of insufficient size for laden weight; 3) suction cups have insufficient vacuum; 4) tiles still have some sort of lubricative film on them.
Reply to
Tegger

Recent posts have attested to the efficacy of "glass drills" from Harbor Freight. So...

You might try drilling a hole or two in the tile and securing the wall-items in a more traditional manner, i.e., screws or anchors.

Reply to
HeyBub

Forget the suction cups and get yourself some of these 3M "Command" things to hang it from. They work better than imaginable and are removable leaving no damage. I've had some hanging in my shower for years and they don't come loose until you want them to. I swear these things are one of the worlds best little secrets, they really really work that well! You are doing yourself a disservice by not trying them.

Tony Miklos