Cooling for hi-fi stack?

No data for above 40C (average if you like) is presented, so it tells us nada about such operation. It aint rocket science.

The google survey went to about 40C, and the curve showed a sharp upturn in failures just before 40, suggesting its likely that failuires do rise a lot above 40 - but not proving anything.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Sounds like youre getting this very out of proportion.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yes.

No.

And the BackBlaze data doesn't.

And the BackBlaze data doesn't.

Reply to
john james

No, it doesnt tell anythnig about 40+, there is no 40+ data there.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It does actually because there is no sharp upturn when the average temps are getting to the high end.

Not data, but clearly when the average temps are at the high end, that must involve some peaks over 40 and so you should see some evidence of a sharp upturn and you don't.

And there is more than just that single BackBlaze paper too.

Reply to
john james

Since ave temp doesnt exceed 40, we know there is no data presented for where ave temps are at the high end. 40 is just lukewarm.

Re a sharp upturn, we dont know what temp range their drives cover, it could be upto 45, upto 50, upto 80, we dont know.

If they have data covering a wider range it would be good to see it. But I suspect not, server farms typically have well temp controlled discs, unlike smaller operations. This rather limits the usefulness of such data.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That turns out to not be the case.

Not in this case.

Reply to
john james

well, the data shows it is for google & backblaze. Again if you've got server farm for data that goes much higher I bet many of us would be interested to see it

obvioulsy the absence of data above 40 is a huge limitation.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

No it does not with backblaze. There is a wide variation in the temperature of the drives visible in the data.

All you have to do is look at that data, there for all to see.

There is quite a bit of data above 40, sort on Smart_194_raw

Reply to
john james

Possibly - but then again if I trash £500+ worth of equipment for want of £20 worth of cooling this would not be a good move in the long run.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David