O T: Kenwood Hi-Fi System Help ?

I have been given a Kenwood Hi-Fi system. Yes it is old and yes it does work, well partly anyway. Amp with CD player

These are the parts included: All Kenwood T-85L Tuner DP-950 CD player GE-850 Graphic equaliser A-85 Amplifier

I have been informed by a chap on eBay that I need a special cable to link the Tuner and the Graphic Equaliser to the amplifier. Apparently the amp sends control cables to the other parts in order to switch them on etc.

I was wondering if, long shot I know, if anyone knew anything about this system and if they could give any further info on the cables so that I could possibly make some if I can find the components required.

Kindest regards,

Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

Worth Googling for the service manual or circuit diagram. Most older ones are out there somewhere.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many moons ago I recall having a play with a Kenwood system. It had control cables which I think were 3.5 mm stereo jacks at each end that went between the units. I don't think there was anything special about them. Have a look on the back of the units and you should find the sockets IIRC.

Reply to
dennis

There are both audio and control cables between these units.

Just looking at an A-54 amp, it has two pairs of phono connectors for preamp out and power amp in. Your graphic equaliser should use all of these. On the A-54, there appears to be no bypass within the amp, so if you want the amp to work without the EQ, you will need to connect the centres of the preamp out phonos to the centres of the power amp ins.

For the control links, some Kenwoods use mini jacks, but some including this A-54 use cables with flat multipin connectors. AFAIK only two conductors are connected on each connector, so the system might be the same as that with mini jacks. So, if you have the flat connectors, then you will need to obtain original cables, or wire up yourself, possibly using single wires with single pins. Manuals are easy to find, and show the connections. Check the fuses if there are any.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Iveson

In message , the_constructor writes

I have, tucked away upstairs, a similar system I bought in Indonesia 25 years ago.; The amp is an A-45 , but, I presume more or less the same. It has both power and control cables linking the tuner, amp and GE modules

I'll take a look tomorrow

Reply to
geoff

Many thanks Geoff. Look forward to hearing from you soon

Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

A quick google image search found this for the A-85. Note socket bottom right labelled T-85.

above for the A-82. Similar connector, labelled as a power connector

- and also separate control connections. I don't see the latter in the T-85 picture unless they are off-photo.... so it's integrated as suggested by the OP.

Of course, a service manual will be on the webs somewere to reveal all. It's an illusive thing at present, mouse is complaining of too much wiggle.

Reply to
Adrian C

Following page claims the A-93 is similar

user manual for this is here.

Adrian C

You mean its casting spells to conceal itself? Wow! 54th level sorceror and all that?

I'll pass over that...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I seem to recall that the control cable is basically a set of loop-through

3.5 mm jack to 3.5 mm jack. I used to repair a lot of these systems for a company some years back, and I have it amongst the cobwebs of my mind, that these systems are very critical of the 'order' in which the individual items are bussed. I'm thinking particularly of the graphic and tape deck, which I seem to recall are particularly 'strange' in the way that they interconnect. If you don't get everything right, the remote control doesn't work. I remember keeping a copy of the user manual filed away, with a hand-drawn diagram of my own, so odd was it. If you have any issues with getting it all to work, shout me direct, or on here, and I'll see if I can fish out the diagrams, as I'm sure I must still have them.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Arfa, the lead has a rectangular plug on the end with, in the middle, what looks like 3 pins in a 13amp plug configuration, but not as big and the holes are round about 1mm Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

Below are pictures showing the sockets for the plugs that I need on the back of the Kenwood A85 Amp, T-85L tuner etc

the_constructor

Reply to
Andy Burns

Below are pictures showing the sockets for the plugs that I need on the back of the Kenwood A85 Amp, T-85L tuner etc

the_constructor

Did you put the camera between your glasses and your eye?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I admit the pics are a bit on the crap side, I will try to do better tomorrow. Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

IIRC, Photobucket allows you to do this after uploading.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which is a daft way to do it when most PCs have software already installed that will do the job and there are squillions of free graphics programs available to do the job, singly or in batches. Irfanview to name but one.

Given the size of modern digital camera picture files and the relatively slow upload speed most of us "enjoy"' it's just daft not to resize first.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Here's my second attempt:-

Its the plug for the socket in the middle of the picture that I need

the_constructor