Conservatory glazing bars

My house has a conservatory dating from (probably) the 60' or thereabouts. The roof is wired glass (maybe 16 - 18" wide) on aluminium glazing bars. It's always been clear that the whole thing leaks but, of course, recent rains have shown it up for what it truly is (!). Presumably the glazing bar seals are history.

We've only had the place 6 months and have been planning to replace the whole conservatory probably next summer, when most of the essentials have been done inside. Meanwhile, it would be good to do a temporary fix on the leaks.

The top section of the glazing is screwed down and I expect (haven't looked) that this compresses a seal onto the glass. Although in principle, unscrewing these and putting a new rubber strip would be a fairly minor job, I suspect that most of the screws will be solid and corroded, so attempting a proper fix may cause more problems than it solves. How would anyone rate my chances of getting a reasonable seal with a bead of silicone along each side...or has anyone dealt with this issue in another way?

Cheers

Reply to
GMM

The last glazing bars I looked at didn't have a proper seal. They were like car sunroofs where some seepage was expected and the drips ran down the "gutters" in the bar. Like cars these can get blocked and the thing leaks in. Have a look at the ends and you should be able to see and may be able to clear any crap that's blocking them.

If you need a seal have a look at aluminium or sylglass (sp?) tape to stick over the bar.

Reply to
dennis

There are a number of tapes on the market that are mastic on a backing, usually aluminium. I would go for this solution. Yes, there should be drainage channels and it might be obvious where they are blocked, but the mastic strip will IMO give you the temporary reprieve you are looking for.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

If you are replacing the conservatory soon, you only need a quick fix and, unless the domestic authorities disagree, it does not really need to look perfect. Clean the glass next to the gazing bars and apply self-adhesive flashing tape across the tops of the bars and onto the glass each side. It will be a quick, cheap and effective solution.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I can't really see anything that looks like it should drain but, as you suggest, a good blast with a pressure washer can't do it any harm (famous last words) Then at least I'll have a clean surface to get something to stick to.

I'm not sure I fancy try to change the seals, as mentioned above: You could pretty much guarantee a number of the screws would strip and then I'll be worse off. I still rather fancy a bead of silicone each side compared with many rolls of flashing tape, which would have to be pretty wide to clear the bars and stick down.

Reply to
GMM