conservatory "glazing" - defintion of glazing !!

A conservatory has to have a certain propertion of glazing.

  1. What is this proportion according to building regs ?
  2. Also, what is the definition of "glazing" in this context? What is the most opaque material that can be used the "glaze" a conservatory? There are some solar coatings used that cut down a large proportion of light, e.g. coolkote. It the requirement is for a "translucent" roof, same question - definition ? Thanks, Simon.
Reply to
Simon

From memory, 75% of the roof and 50% of the external walls, but I could be out.

I haven't found any specific %age loss requirements published. I suspect it would be up to the court to decide. I doubt that even Coolkote would cause a court to blink. It is paint that would tip the balance, not glass tinting. Ask yourself if you are breaking the spirit of the exemption and let that guide you! Would a reasonable person still regard the room as a conservatory, separate from the body of the house?

Translucent material, such as polycarbonate sheeting would be fine. It must transmit light, but you don't necessarily have to be able to see things on the other side. OTOH, my new double glazed roof looks absolutely fantastic compared with that polycarbonate tat. It gives a much better feeling of being an "outside" room, when you can see the clouds and the birds. No chance of seeing the sun, though any time this year, though. :-(

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle