Condemning central heating boilers ...

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

Not really a good idea to use the words "ICOS" and "boiler" in the same, sentence

Reply to
geoff

In message , Arfa Daily writes

They are not "CORGI" anymore

"Gassafe installer" is the correct term to use

Reply to
geoff

And if you want definitive accurate information on a building issue you ask a gas installer?

If the boiler is dangerous e.g. because it is producing carbon monoxide or leaking gas then it will be disconnected from the supply to make it safe. It can be reconnected when it has been repaired. Efficiency has nothing to do with it.

(That's the short version but the bottom line is: it's a matter of safety, not efficiency, and it's only curtains for the appliance if it can't be made to work safely.)

Reply to
YAPH

No it's not, it's a system boiler with an expansion vessel, pressure relief valve, pressure gauge and circulation pump built in. I don't know what Ideal's heating-only equivalent is because the only time I deal with shit is when I'm unblocking toilets, but Worcester-Bosch's heating-only units are the 'R' series - R12, R15 etc.

Reply to
YAPH

djc said the following on Thu, 18 Nov 2010 at 13:31:23

I'm confused about this statement. We have 8mm Microbore heating and understood that we could not have a condensing boiler on our system. If all modern boilers are condensing what do we do when the time comes to change the boiler?

The current boiler is an Ideal Standard non condensing which was installed in 2003 replacing a 20 year old Thorn Olympic which had never gone wrong in all that time.

Reply to
James Noble

Errr, which would be why I asked here to check, then John ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

As far as I know the only problem would be the flue. Back boilers being the usual case.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Err.. We've got an Ideal ICOS and it's got none of what you describe. It is a barebones heat-only boiler.

(Either way I agree with your derision of it)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

You have been misinformed. You can use a condensing boiler with 8mm microbore.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Fairy Nuff ;-)

Reply to
YAPH

You can still get them. Viessmann vitodens 100 compact seems that. They also do a vitodens 100 system and combi.

It is said that the vitodens 100 is a dumbed down version of their (very good) other boilers for the uk market.

It is one of few with weather compensation. What puts me off is the minimum size of 9.2KW which would mean cycling for much of the time with my heating load.

A similar one modulating to 4 or less KW would be nice.

Reply to
<me9

Mine has two, which is the same as a heat only boiler.

Reply to
<me9

Isn't a system boiler meant to be a one box solution - so would incorporate a three way valve?

Mine has 7 pipes if you ignore the flue. Cold water fill. Hot water flow and return. Heating flow and return. Condensate drain. Overheat safety.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are quite a few other options:

Vaillant ecoTEC plus 400-series Broag-Rehema Avanata v-series Glow-worm Ultracom hxi

These are just the manufacturers I've been looking at - there are no doubt others too.

I'm in a similar situation however the above can get down as far as around 5kW. There is also the Geminox Doceanne Supra C which can go down to 2.5kW but I don't know anything about them other than they're part of the Bosch group.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Not necessarily. The 3-way valve can seemingly still be external and still qualify for the 'system' tag. It is unfortunately little more than a marketing term really.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

So there is no actual definition of system boiler?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On the contrary; there are loads! ;-)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Dribble seems to have disappeared for the moment but wasn't Broag-Rehema his most recent flavour of the month?

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Indeed... which is what's putting me off somewhat! Reading through the marketing blurb and installation instructions they do sound like decent quality boilers, and there's the occasional online recommendation from installers who have departed from the usual manufacturers. Spares are apparently expensive, but then apparently rarely needed too.

However, on this group they're rarely mentioned, other than by Dribble and his alter egos through the years, which is something of a potential concern.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Prolly because they have bugger all market share

Reply to
geoff