Cold radiators

Using a gas fired boiler (non combi)

The tops of all the radiators are hot and the middle and bottom are cold

I've been told that this isn't an air\gas problme oterwise they would be cold at the top and hot at the bottom

So I guess it may be silt in the system

Does anyone know how to sort this problem out ?!

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
Rob Lloyd

Standard procedure is to remove the rads and take them outside and give them a really good wash out with a hosepipe. While each rad is off, flush its supply pipes by opening each valve in turn, and letting water flow into a bowl or bucket until it runs clear - making sure you've got plenty of water in the F&E tank. Then drain and re-fill the whole system, adding the requisite amount of inhibitor to discourage further sludge accummulation. Try not to spill any sludge on the carpets - it's pretty indelible!

You *can* get chemicals which are supposed to dissolve the sludge and allow it to be drained out without dismantling, but they don't work if it's badly sludged up.

The only other alternative is a power flush - but most firms will charge several hundred quid for doing this. I believe you can hire the kit for less though, and DIY.

Reply to
Set Square

In a flat - all our radiators are hot at the top and cold in the middle and the bottom.

I have been told this is not a trapped air problem - as they would be cold at the top

We have a non combi boiler

Can anyone help come up with any ideas before I call an expensive plumber

ie - how to flush radiators, or balance them????!!

Thanks

Rob

Reply to
Rob Lloyd

Pour this (

) or something similar into header tank and leave for 2 weeks, radiators should start working slowly.

empty system and refill could also add

for peace of mind

Total cost

Reply to
Dave Jones

Have you tried bleeding them anyway?

Reply to
diynovice

Probably not sludge if the middle is cold - that would be a hell of a lot of sludge. Check if you have flow by feeling both pipes which should be both hot. If not, a lot more info is needed about your system to give advice. See FAQ for general CH info and balancing info - if that is what the problem is.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison