combi boiler radiators and valves

Just had a new combi boiler to replace my old back boiler, got 7 radiators with thermostatic valves on them all, they say I should take one valve off if so what kind of valve should I replace it with and why? The radiators I have are just flat panel ones would it make and difference replacing them with modern radiators like Myson premies round top with the zig zag thin pieces of tin attatched to the inside.

Thank you for any advice.

Reply to
Jo King

You should have a room thermostat somewhere in the house - usually in the living room or hallway - which turns the boiler off when the house gets hot. The radiator which heats the bit of house whose temperature is sensed by the room stat should *not* have a TRV on it. Ideally, it should have lockshield valves both ends so that it can't accidentally be turned off. If you simply removed the thermostatic head from the TRV it would suffice - assuming there's a lockshield valve at the other end of the rad - but it may not look very pretty.

Radiators with fins - size for size - have considerably more heat output (assuming that the boiler and pump can deliver the necessary heat and flow rate) than the unfinned variety (about 50% extra I think, but this should be verified). If your house is warm enough with the existing rads there's no particular point in changing them as long as they're sound. If you want to increase the heating capacity without taking up any more wall space - or simply to gain some wall space by using a smaller rad - you could consider using modern finned radiators.

Reply to
Set Square

Reply to
Jo King