Close coupled cistern installation

I have a close-coupled toilet. The cistern naturally enough sits on the toilet but has no screw holes for attachment to the wall. Should it be left sitting or should something like silicon be applied to the rear surface to form a bond with the wall? or... ?

Thanks,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

My one I installed a few weeks back is left sitting and is fine, just make sure the wingnuts are tight which bolt it to the pan and you should be fine. You could however as you suggest use a blob of silicone or gripfill it to the back of the wall. I would be worried about the state the wall would be left in though if I had to remove it at a later date.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

Thanks Richard.

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Due to my soil pipe mine was about 2cm away from the wall when I installed it. Knowing how rough some of our house guest can be in their actions I fixed a small strip of wood to the back wall the width of the gap to absorb any sudden impacts against the cistern. If mounted at about 2 thirds of the way up the cistern then it's not easily visible and painting it white also helped it to blend in.

Seri

Reply to
Seri

It's not a Madrid suite from Been & Queued is it? I have just installed one of these for someone and the cistern did not have any holes to fix it to the wall. I have never seen a cistern before without these holes, and I have installed/repaired 100's. I rang B & Q as I thought it might be a faulty one to be told by the 'bathroom consultant' that "On the budget suites there aren't any holes, you stick it to the wall with silicon". I asked how it would be removed if needed i.e. doughnut washer change, or if it leaked after installation etc. to which he replied "I've never thought of that". I also pointed out that on the 'budget' suites you were actually getting more porcelain for you money, i.e. no holes, but that went straight over his head!

I needed some fixing holes so decided to drill it, even with good quality tile drills and masonry bits two 8mm holes took nearly 2 hours! I have never drilled anything as hard as that before in my life! You could try this but go VERY SLOWLY and keep allowing the drills to cool down. If you can get the surface you are drilling somewhat horizontally level you could put a ring of putty around the drill site and put some oil (or water) in there to help the cutting and cooling process

John

Reply to
John

Ah, John ... you haven't done the bean-counters' course ... "Holes" is extra: 'holes' have to obtained from stores as raw stock; turned to the appropriate diameter, then cut-off to the appropriate thickness before being carefully aligned and inserted nto the porcelain ... .[There's much generation of store-cards, movement orders and Inspectors' chitties too]. You want hole? ... you've got to pay for them.

See; you've just confirmed how difficult it must be to get the 'holes' inserted ... (of course, one could just leave out the clay - but that's require thought -which is probably not part of 'Design & Technology' syllabi nowadays}

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

I've got the same. The weight is taken by the pan so you only need a couple of small dabs to silicon to steady the cistern which can be easily cut through with a piece of wire or similar if necessary.

The problem I've got to fix is with the push button flush. You screw the button part in without tightening it. A month later a combination of water, surface tension etc now makes it irremovable without removing the cistern from the pan. When I do it I'll probably file off most of the thread and reassemble with silicon grease.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I think that if I were faced with that situation, I would make a couple of cranked brackets - to be screwed to the wall just above the body of the cistern, and which extended over the top of back, and just down inside. These would be completely hidden by the lid.

Reply to
Set Square

I think you're a little out of date. Holes now have to be ordered six months in advance from a manufactory in the Orient and spend a further three months rotting on a tramp steamer while the Kuala Lumpur Seamen's Union resolves its terms and conditions dispute. You can't expect holes to turn up at the same time as the porcelain. Management didn't spend three weeks on a Quality Circles bunfight^Wcourse so that apertures could arrive contempraneously with the china.

I expect if you go back to the shop three months after you've fitted it, you'll find they've got an overstock of holes reduced to 10p each.

That's so true ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain