Cloneing (sp) a garage door remote

Any recommendations. Lots of bad reports on these devices. The installer, m any many years ago, wanted £60 for the second remote so I ran him out of it.

Reply to
fred

I suspect that for something of that age, the codes will be non -rolling and therefore quite easy to clone.

Is it infra red or radio? Radio ones should have an MPT spec number in which case your cloner needs to support that. If infra red, take a digital video* of the out put when you press a button. Slow it down on the computer and work out the data rate and use that to select your cloner

*Virtually all camera respond to IR and show it a white light on replay.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

r, many many years ago, wanted £60 for the second remote so I ran him out of it.

Bob many thanks. Most helpful. It is indeed radio so I will have a look for the MPT spec number.

Reply to
fred

Having looked around it seems that vast majority of systems will be MPT1340 operating on 433.(92?) MHz This is the spec for the radio part and will support fixed and rolling codes. Cloners seem to support both too.

Ebay cloners seem pretty cheap and if they don't/won't learn from yours send em back for credit. Once you have a good one, buy another and keep your original old one in a cotton wool lined box in your sock drawer as one day it will give up the ghost and you will have nought to teach new ones from.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

These people may be able to offer a solution. They seem to cover a wide range on makers.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Where can I buy a cloner? How do I know what its data rate is before buying? Surely it will be a uniquely coded sequence, not just a rate?

Reply to
Dave W

The door we have has a procedure for adding more remotes. I just bought a cheap remote on ebay and added it.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Yes but if you send the code at the wrong rate, the receiver won't decode it. Have you not heard of ebay? The place to get almost anything.

Reply to
Bob Minchin