Cleaning windows

I've heard it said many times, even seen it sometimes within these groups but there's never been any specifics mentioned, and bein' a bit fik, like, I need it spelled out, so.....

I want to get the car windows clean and free of road grime/car wash wax (even though I always go for the wash *without* wax, I'm sure it still gets in there somehow) and I thought I'd give the old vinegar and newspaper method a try.

As far as I remember, you're supposed to wash with a vinegar/water solution and rub dry with newspaper, but what sort of vinegar (ordinary malt vinegar as goes with fish & chips?) and what proportions, ie, 1teaspoon vinegar to

1pt water? 3 tablespoons vinegar to a pint of water? Half and half? Or what?

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John

We always use a glass cleaner specified for cars - I don't know if it makes any difference from a domestic one but it certainly works very well.

I've never used vinegar but it would be a waste to use balsamic :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

John,

I clean the windows externally with Cif and a non-scratch pad to get rid of such gunk (simply apply, give a 'scrub' and rinse off with using the hosepipe - been doing this for years with no problems - and internally with a product called Mer, which I also *very infrequently* use to polish the bodwork.

That should have the 'purists' in here yelling at me :-)

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

I did get a specific one for car windows (can't remember the make but it's from Halfrauds) but it just isn't doing the job, which is why I thought I'd give the old vinegar a try. Thanks anyway, Mary.

John

Reply to
John

Hmm, never thought about using Cif. Might just try that Brian. I use Mer Ultimate Polish for the bodywork about every other year - brilliant stuff :o) Cheers mate,

John

Reply to
John

Old chauffeurs trick - Use methylated spirits.

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

Ours was Renault, pricy though. We're still on the first bottle fter about six years and it's been used indoors too.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It can leave smears.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Though obviously not often ;-)

My vote goes for Cif.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Just wash as normal then use meths on a newspaper & polish with a clean piece. Works very well on all windows, never mind cars. You shouldn't be getting smears.

Reply to
mick

The newspaper trick dates from the days of carbon based ink. No longer used. So it's just rough paper, basically.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One should use a wine vinegar, preferably on based on Pinot Grigio.

For newpaper, one should use the Telegraph, but under no circumstances The Sun or the Grauniad.

Traditionally brown paper is used rather than newspaper. You may find Harrods brown paper bags to be a good choice.

;-)

Alternatively, just buy some of the spray stuff from Halfords - Seems to work OK. Some people use meths, but why waste a good drink? :-)

Al.

Reply to
Al

Al (Al ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Hmmm. May one respectfully suggest that the choice of paper depends on the vehicle?

There's some obvious choices - For a Transit van, the Sun is perfect. For a battered Escort van, the Sport. For a Rover 75, the Daily Wail.

It gets a little trickier from there, though.

I'd suggest that the Torygraph was about right for a Jag S-type or E- class Merc, with the Times being more suitable for an S-class Merc. Guardian? Toyota Pius. FT? Bonus time in the city - got to be a Ferrari, 911 or M6.

For a 3-series, A4, Mondeo or any other repmobile, it's got to be a print- out of a sales forecast spreadsheet, though.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian (Adrian ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

... oh, yes... And Metro or London Lite or the London Paper are only any use for the windows of tubes, buses or commuter trains.

Reply to
Adrian

Forget all that - use a clay and a clay lubricant first to get the gunge off, then a microfibre cloth to finish.

Reply to
Frank

Balsamic is OK if you use a Mange tout as a squeege.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Screwfix No Nonsense Glass Cleaner, best I've ever used after 30 years in the cleaning/valeting game. Brilliant product, never used anything as good.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , John writes

De-icer spray and a soft cloth. Do the inside glass with the doors open of course.

Reply to
Keith

I'll second the use of a microfibre cloth - a wonderful invention for all cleaning.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"One's *chauffeur* should use", surely? Honestly, the riff-raff on here...

Reply to
Halmyre