Ultra Newbie Cement Mix Question

Hi all
This is going to sound real daft but: The mix ratios given for sand/cement/gravel are they by volume or weight?
TIA
Phil

They're by Irish navvy shovelfulls.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Dave Baker wrote:

which for the avoidance of doubt, is by volume!
--
Cheers,

John.

"Dave Baker" wrote

I'll take that as volume then :-) Cheers Dave
Phil

Volume i.e. 1 shovel of cement, 2 of sand and 4 of gravel
see http://www.pavingexpert.com/mortars.htm#mixos for more details.
HTH
John
It might be useful to say it's by volume because the weight of sand varies significantly depending how wet it is.

As has been said, mix ratios are by volume, but there's not a lot of difference between the density of gravel and cement (so you can buy it by weight and mix it by volume).
Sand depends on how damp it is, dry sand is similar to gravel, cement, but damp sand can be 1/4 heavier or more.
BTW I don't know this stuff, I just found it here http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_materials.htm
OG wrote:

Oh dear, I was going to ask how much sand, gravel and cement I would need for a given vol. of footings. I can't now, I've got the data I will have to work it out. :-(