Cement to ballast proportions

I am making a concrete path and have some B&Q sacks of ballast. As the mix is normally 1:3:4 does that mean I need five bags of ballast to one of cement, or do I need to measure it out by volume? Perhaps if so someone could tell me how many bags of each, because I am a lazy bath-steward! Thanks

Reply to
Broadback

1:3:4 of what? It doesn't really matter (within reason) how accurate your measurements are for this purpose. If a bag of cement looks about the same volume as a bag of ballast, it'll be OK.
Reply to
Chris Bacon

Ballast?

Do you mean sacks of a mix of sand and gravel?

1:3:4 seems a bit weak. Add an extra half a shovel of cement. A small mixer will only take that volume of mix IIRC.
Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Yes, ballast is basically pre-mixed sand and gravel, I presume in the proportion of 3:4, perhaps someone can put me right on that.

Reply to
Broadback

Not sure that they have that up North...

It's normally extracted like that. If it is ballast (sometimes called "all-in ballast"), then 1:5 is fine for your path.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Basically concrete is gravel, with the gaps between the gravel filled with sand, and the gaps between the sand filled with cement..ant gaps left over start off filled with water, and eventuallyl dry out to leave the concrete a bit porous and crumbly.

Unless there is serious need for water resistance (frost and soaked wek cement will shatter) or maximum strength (parking 30 tonners on it) you don't have to be THAT fussy..and anyway paddling the mix brings cement to the top which forms a stronger surface.

I just keep adding cement till it stops looking 'sandy'.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from Broadback contains these words:

1:3:4 seems an odd ratio to me (too much sand). 1:2:4 would give an overall ratio of 1:5 accorded to my rather old information but I doubt whether that has changed overmuch in the last 40 years.
Reply to
Roger