cleaning stove extractor fan hood

Yes - it is expensive. I rather thought that it might be possible to get similar in smaller quantities from a catering/janitorial supplier. But a name/description can help a lot.

Thanks - they are not mine, Thyroid UK is a registered charity - I just came to be very thankful it exists and try to pass the message on. And we support them as much as we can.

Reply to
Rod

In message , someone writes

I've used a steam cleaner to do this sort of thing.

Reply to
chris French

Steam wallpaper stripper. You can use a handheld "steam cleaener" gadget too, but they're more expensive and heavy to handle compared to a cheap steam-bucket & hose.

Use your chemistry too, whatever works, but steam is the trick.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We got a 'proper' steam cleaner, go it 'free' when I bought a pressure washer. It has a fairly small diameter hose, which makes it very easy to use.

I'm not sure id have ever bought one, but it does work pretty well.

Reply to
chris French

You know who seems to be the keeper of Kabooooooooooooom type vidioes/ links. He probably got a bucket / plantpot full of them.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

IME the key is to keep the water at boiling point. Caustic soda works well, but cant be used on many surfaces. Cream cleaner is more reasonable, and works if the water really is boiling.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Late into this, but never mind: I must tell you to try White Spirit (plus lots of kitchen roll). I've used White Spirit[1] for some years now, having had the same problem you describe.

Having tried lots of things, I discovered that WS works like magic -- no kidding. You don't need elbow grease, but you do need the kitchen roll because of the way it all dissolves so quickly.

Having wiped down (or scrubbed, if it's something like your filters) I wash with warm water and ordinary washing up liquid.

Cheers John

[1] Or is it Turps? Or will either do? I'll find out when I next do this job.
Reply to
Jonelle

White spirit works as a solvent, but you also need a detergent to emulsify the grease it removes. If you try to use a mixture of white spirit & say, washing up liquid it will work extreemly well for a very short time.

The detergent molecules in the washing up liquid will try to emulsify the white spirit. Many years ago commercial chemists found a way of blending solvents & detergents to give hard surface cleaners with outstanding cleaning power. The early vesions contained 2-butoxyethanol, but it was found that if you soaked rats in it for 5 years they caught nasty colds - or something along those lines.

Newer versions contain something similar, but greener, and don't work as well, but a good commercial hard surface cleaner is a thing of wonderous beauty...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks, Rod, this looks useful.

someone

Reply to
someone

Hi. About cleaning stove hood... best thing I've found to remove that thick, greasy goop is oil - really! Dollop some veg oil (canola or whatever) on a rag or old washcloth, spread it around and then rub off the goo. The oil softens the old oily stuff and it does come off. Have never tried using cooking spray but that would probably work too. Good luck.

Reply to
gypsy