Cleaning paint off PVC

I need to modify a 110mm PVC soil stack which has been painted with ordinary oil paint. What's the best way to remove the paint so I can do a solvent weld joint? Is Nitromors safe on PVC?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd have thought it would melt it! if it's just enough you need off for a solvent weld I'd just sand that area

Reply to
Staffbull

Reply to
cuppycake

It does need dividing, after all. ;-)

But if I did get someone in, this would be the likely scenario...

'Can't be done, guv. Have to replace the entire stack. About 1000 quid to you mate - cash of course.'

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wire wool or scrapey thing?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I don't think Nitromors is safe with most types of plastic. It made a bit of a mess in the old plastic/ fibreglass bath when I tried to clean the Nitromors laden paintbrush.

How about caustic soda, as used for cleaning drains, applied where you need to remove the paint?

Be careful with this stuff!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Hasn't it been said many times in here that gloss paint on this plastic forms a chemical bond that is permanent?

I may be mistaken but remember noting it as it might have been of good use to me.

Reply to
EricP

More of a solvent weld bond I would say, but same end effect.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It does eventually flake off - at least in places. In my case with a south facing stack painted black it took about 15 years. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)