Paint PVC

Is there way to paint PVC for exterior exposure? I want to pain PVC soffit vent to match the siding.

Reply to
ls02

ls02 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

I went to my friend Google, and I got this:

Reply to
Tegger

Yes. The PVC for my pool solar panels were painted to match the house color. The colors blend well - no white PVC :-)

Reply to
Oren

A real paint store should have what you need.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I have had pretty good success painting pvc pipe with all sorts of paints. think the trick might been to solvent clean and maybe sand a bit. suspect the pvc has a mold release agent on it (maybe?). Spray paint with it strong high solvent based seems to work well.

paul

Reply to
Paul Oman

The secret is to prep with a primer containing talc. It costs more than the paint. Of course, you will want to topcoat with a high quality paint as well. Sherwin-Williams will have what you need. Just tell them you need to prep PVC for paint............................ Of course, If I were you, my big worry would be that the soffit flexes too much for *any* paint.

Reply to
Lefty

Ditto that, except I don't think ultra clean or anything special is needed. If it's too shiny to take paint easily, sand lightly and wipe/blow the dust off. Spray is easiest, if it works for your situation. If you do it by hand, use a foam brush or pad instead of bristles. Apply it any reasonable way you can, but come back and "sponge" it to finish this (primer) coat. Relatively even coverage is close enough. When it's bone dry, do another coat. In this situation, no matter how you apply it, or what type of paint you use, two coats will outlast one by a gazillion years, or until your house needs repainted, whichever comes first.

;-{

Reply to
uncle K

Krylon or Rustoleum spray paint should work. The recommended color for painting exterior pipe is black.

Reply to
Phisherman

Go to a real Paint store like sherwin williams and get a primer they recommend and follow instructions. XIM has been "The" plastic primer for near 30 years, I use it on all plastics that can be painted, XIM has an expiration date on the can so read it that you dont get old stock. PVC inside I have cheated without primers and had good results, but this is outside so do it right.

Reply to
ransley