Cleaning greasy ceiling

I'm helping with the refurbishment of a student flat. It's been let to Chinese students for 4 years and the kitchen ceiling (10 feet up!) looks horrible. I'm assuming it's grease, etc from wok cooking. What suggestions for cleaning it prior to repainting please ?

Thanks

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I'd start with a normal Jif/Cif type abrasive cleaner. If that doesn't shift it, washing soda should, but that will run down your sleeves. Sugar soap similarly I would think. Maybe there's a gel type product you could put on with a roller

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Sugar soap, a floor squeegee type mop (Saves the hard work) and a lot of clean hot water to clear it

Dry steam cleaner (similar to a wall paper stripper) & plenty of cloths.

Failing that a good hard surface cleaner like Starclean from Morrisons and a microfibre cloth, plus a bucket of rinse water.

No easy way, ladders or a tower + elbow grease.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Many thanks guys. I think I might have a sicky that day !

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Probably better to have a sicky that day than be sick the next day.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Be grateful it isn't a really rough Artex or "Polytex"

Reply to
John

There is a spray degreaser that is water soluble that seems to be used in catering establishments that you can use. I use it at home as I have a similar problem, the wife uses a wok a lot. Just spray it on, leave it a few minutes, wash it off, the results are amazing. Can't give you a name but I buy it in Makro ot Costco.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

You mean like our kitchen ceiling? Rips a sponge to shreds in no time. :((((

Reply to
Tony Williams

We had ours skimmed. *What* an improvement!

Reply to
Huge

Us too. Definitely the way to go. Wish I could afford to have the whole house done.

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

Might be 'citrus degreaser', a janitorial supplies would have it in student-landlord sizes.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

We had the living re-done in Artex, but a much lower, and random, pattern (it's called "Broken leather, laced" if anyone cares). I rather like it.

Reply to
Huge

We'll have to do that, and in the bathroom, on the wall right next to the bog, so if you stand up and turn the wrong way you scrape your bum on it.... well once is enough so it's only visitors now.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Brave man to admit it.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

We have carpet in the bathrooms, too. :o)

Reply to
Huge

Snap, been there 24 years with no problems. Cannot see what all the fuss was about. Irrational in my opinion. To those who might question, yes it has been cleaned and removed on several occasions to paint, plumb, etc.

Reply to
clot

Do you have a telescopic sight on your todger?

Does it help ? :-)

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Radar-aimed, innit.

Reply to
Huge

The aim might be good, but splashback is unpredictable. Why have a wc in the bathroom anyway?

Reply to
Stuart Noble