Partition in student flat...

I am a student renting a room in a house with five other students. I have been there for a while now, however, the problem is noise from the room adjacent to mine. It is clear that the landlord has partitioned one of the rooms, half of which is now mine - with a single sheet of plasterboard which joins across the window. Is such a partition complying with building regulations? It is clear that this is insufficient to stop noise transfer from the adjoining room and has led to falling out between myself and the occupant of the other room. I would much rather give the landlord a month's notice to leave the property, because of the noise nuisance and not cause further falling out between me and the other tenant, after all, I have to put up with living with him, however, the landlord is trying to hold me to the full term of the contract.

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus Fox

"Marcus Fox" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

No.

It's also not an adequate fire break.

The Building inspector will not be pleased.

What are the HMO rules in your area?

If the property needs a license for the numebr of people in it, then this will lilely cause it to be invalid.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

On second thoughts, it can't be a single sheet as there are sockets on it. However, the partition is attached across a window and the noise transmission through it is as such as it may as well not even be there.

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus Fox

How long is the contract? How long have you been there? HMO's that I operate are done on a licence and not a tenancy and hence different criteria apply. If you have signed a tenancy then technically you are signed up for the duration. Presumably you looked at the accomodation on offer and signed accordingly. If technically the accommodation breaches building regs then you might be able to barter a walk away agreement or force it to be put right.

Reply to
legin

plasterboard

Have been there exactly six months, with six months left to run. I did look at the tenancy and was expecting to want the house for the year I would be at university. However, there wasn't music pounding through the wall when I signed.

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus Fox

"Marcus Fox" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

Would it not be better to ask the landlord to deal with the noise or approach your local EHO to take decibel readings and advise you if the noise is within legal limits? This they will do covertly

If the building is not up to standard then mentioning the EHO to the Landlord may focus his mind for other reasons than the noise

Tony

Reply to
TMC

aaaahahahahahahaha oh sorry, that's not meant as a joke is it....

Reply to
news

Is there a break clause in the contract?

The reality is that you can leave at any time and only lose your deposit. (Usually around one months rent). Of course you have to find alternative accom. and you may be hindered slightly by not having a reference. In theory the Landlord could come after you (small claims court) for the remaining rent but it would cost him/her and your mitigating plea of grievous noise nuisance might count for something.

Depending on where you live the Landlord may or may not have difficulty on finding a replacement for you.

If you came across this accommodation through a university lettings service/agency then they would be _very_ interested to hear about a building defect like this...

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Many of the students appear to just walk away and write off the deposit as the last months rent which may be the OP's best course

Other option is to beat the crap out of the noisy one or wait until he stops and make even more noise yourself as a precursor to negotiations about reasonable levels

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Sounds very doubtful. Do you mean to say that the new wall butts up against the glass of the window, so if you opened the window you could put your head out and round to look in you next door neighbour's room?!

If the wall's constructed wrongly or poorly then it will allow the noise transmission...

The EHO aren't going to be the slightest bit interested in noise pollution from another room within the same property though.

Agreed!

David

Reply to
Lobster

snipped

snipped

Not even in a HMO .Are they not regarded as seperate dwelling for noise pollution purposes . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

It's uPVC and it butts up against the frame in the 4" or so that is between two panes. And yeah, he can put his head out and look into my room, should he want to. Can't do it on my side because I have the majority of the window and the only pane that opens is furthest from the partition.

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus Fox

Well at the end of the day, it would be up to the individual local authority who issues the HMO license. I suspect it's pretty unlikely they'd issue one in this instance, but don't think noise would be anything to do with it - have never heard of that being an issue for HMOs per se.

David

Reply to
Lobster