Cleaning Glass

I recently bought a large 2nd hand greenhouse ...and after good advice here got all the glass home without a single breakage. Green house has now been erected ..... but before I refit all the glass, (>

100 panes) thinking about best way to clean it. As it's been in a greenhouse for a few years it's green, cruddy and probably brittle. It did get a wash down as each pane was taken out .... but certainly not clear glass at present.

Suggestions .... ?

I have a pressure washer ... but that may be a tad risky ?

Hot water & Jeyes fluid ?

Wife, bucket & sponge ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Armillotox

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Ward

Angle grind..... oh. oh well, there are still 99 more panes ...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

pressure washer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A lot of stuff will come off better with some brand of solvent, simple white spirit is usually strong enough.

tim

Reply to
tim....

Hair not really abrasive enough, tongue clogs too quickly.

It should come off easily enough if you wet it with a little detergent in water & let it soak a couple of minutes before brushing off.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Cerium Oxide on a wet rag.

Reply to
Matty F

If he puts clean glass in now he will need to shade it when the sun is out. It might be easier to leave it dirty until Oct/Nov. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

Or white spirit plus whiting (aka the original pink Windolene, hopefully still sold by a few backstreet ironmongers). Can't beat it IMO

Reply to
stuart noble

It would be easier to clean the glass now before it's put on the glasshouse. Otherwise we'll be asked how to climb around on top of a glasshouse with a bucket and cloth.

Reply to
Matty F

In message , Rick Hughes writes

Autoglym glass cleaner for cars. Gets all the crud off the windscreen.

Reply to
hugh

Worthwhile looking at supermarket own brands - that's how I got my last couple of bottles of traditional 'Windolene'.

I think it's something simple like a mixture of white spirit and jewelers rouge, so you could mix your own if you can find the rouge, perhaps ...?

Reply to
Terry Casey

Yesterday I bought a bottle of "original cream" Windolene from Wilkinsons. I believe it's discontinued now, so buy up stocks while you can :-)

According to the online safety data sheet, it contains kaolin.

Reply to
Frank Erskine