Corgi fit 2nd hand boiler?

My 30yr old floor standing caste iron boiler is rumbling again so I think its time for another, bought a Worcester 28si (nov 2001 build) which had very little use but wasnt removed too well (bent manifold plate) I am wondering now if Corgi reg fitters will fit/ are allowed to fit a 2nd hand boiler? I straightened as best I can the manifold plate and it appears all the connections are ok.

Is there any easy way to test a combi before fitting? I have an indirect system atm and its going to be a fair sized job to replumb the system to my prefered new boiler location, hate to have all that done only to find I bought a pup boiler.

Thanks

MikeT.

Reply to
MikeT

Presumably the manifold plate got bent when it fell from the lorry?

The advise to registered fitters is to carefully evaluate 2nd hand appliances. You will need the installation & user instructions (downloadable). The appliance must have a reasonable life left in it. Since this is a reasonable unit with say 80% of its life left you should in princinple be able to find someone to take it on. You _probably_ should buy a new flue/duct for it as the old one may have been modified damaged.

I presume that you are going to be using the boiler as a system boiler only or hybrid use [1] rather than take out the HW cylinder?

Do you know why the boiler was removed in the first place?

The heat exchanger is one of the most expensive parts however you can test this by rigging up some plumbing and testing for leaks.

The major expensive components you might find failed are the gas valve, pump, expansion vessel, PCB. It is unlikely more than one of those has failed. The pump and vessel are easily fixed using generic coponents.

Things like the fan, burner combusion chamber are likely OK if they are undamaged - examine carefully. Most other components are small and relatively cheap.

[1] Boiler works as a 'conventional' indirect system boiler but also provides instant DHW to a single nearby outlet e.g. kitchen sink or shower.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

At a guess I would have to say they attempted to remove the boiler with its wall mouted backplate/manifold and forgot to undo one or more pipes, how you can manage that when the wall fixings are to the backplate and not visible till the boiler is removed seperate to the backplate/manifold escapes me!

I have the original flu pipe with right angle bend, undamaged but there may be comething nissing from the outer end as I see nothing supporting the inner tube to outer tube gap.

The boiler was removed when the house was turned from 2 flats into a 5 bed home again, it wasnt big enough for the whole house.

Having read back through the group I know some here dont like the idea but I was intending removing the tanks in both the loft and airing cupboard and fitting this combi as designed, our hot water needs are not great, nobody has baths.. I could do with the kitchen space I would claim back by moving the boiler to the front porch (fully double glazed) and some radiators would need changing while at it as they are 30yrs old and no doubt sludged up now. I dont have an outside wall in the kitchen big enough to take the new combi anyway and the original floor mounted Potterton's flu goes right up through the middle of the house (unlined I think)

I will rig something on mains water to test the heat exchanger, clean clear water came out of it today when I tipped it up (smile) Apart from the main pcb panel having knobs that feel like sand is between them and the backing due to brick dust I think, everything else seems intact and undamaged, I will blow out the dust with an air line.

I read on one site that it will be illegal (section L2) to fit such a boiler (band D) after April 2005 and that all will need to be condensing? Is this true?

Sorry for the long post!

Mike.

Reply to
MikeT

(downloadable).

And need to get it installed before April 2005 after which this sort of unit isn't permitted.

Reply to
G&M