"Class not registered"

On topic as I'm going to try & fix this myself!

For some reason every time I try to open a picture (jpeg) I get an error message "Class not registered" and it won't open.

Bill Gates has suddenly decide to do this, everything has worked perfectly before.

Found the following 'solution' online;

"Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin). In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press Enter: sfc /scannow"

No issues found.

Any ideas?

Reply to
David Lang

Unless you like whatever picture viewer / editor you had previously, I'd just install Irfanview and probably solve it that way (it's just a good basic picture viewer editor. Great for cropping rotating, resizing and a lot more if you want).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Thanks Tim. It opens fine in that! Everything except TWINUI.

Reply to
David Lang

You are welcome. ;-)

It's a nice little tool.

Is that the Metro picture viewer app?

For playing videos I think VLC is the de-fact standard on most platforms these days.

Be it still or video what you can normally do is right click on the item in question with your file manager (Windows+E), select 'Open with' and choose Irfanview for the stills and VLC for the videos.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You should be able to set up these as default, so just clicking on them uses the correct application.

Reply to
Davey

Yes, often via the process I described above, 'Use this solution every time' sort of thing.

You can set it elsewhere of course.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That is only a solution if you have a corrupt file that can be detected by sfc! Other issues such as settings do not get fixed.

Reply to
polygonum

Does this happen both ways around, by which I mean if you attempt to load the file into the program by launching the program first then going to open and by clicking on the file.

My feeling is that either something has unregistered part of the opening software, maybe a dll, or the actual open with designation is either wrong or missing Unfortunately errors worded like this seem to be very common on Windows escpecially after uninstalling something. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If it opens in irfanview, and irfanview can save files then open it, do a "save as" and rename the saved file as XXXX2.jpg and see if you have any luck that way.

michael adams

michael adams

Another +1 for VLC. Google for VLC hot keys and you will find the shortcuts for things like freeze frame, jump forwards, jump back, etc. One thing it won't do (yet) is step back a single frame.

I tried Irfanview in the past but then gave up as it seemed a bit complicated. I use Picasa for my basic photo handling and that has all the simple tools (crop, brightness, compress, etc). I find export handy for sharing images with family, facebook, etc.

Reply to
newshound

More details should be in the applications log in event viewer.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Well, it is a 'bit complicated' as it can do quite a lot of good stuff but the trick is finding the bits you need and just using those to start with. Crop, rotate, lower the resolution are pretty easy to use but you do have to know what menu they are in first of course. ;-)

Like you and Irfanview I found Picasa complicated and didn't like how it tried to take over / look for all my pictures. Just in the same way I don't want iTunes to organise / database my music.

Again, I don't do much of that and any picture sharing I might do is likely to be via Dropbox or eMail. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I've solved it!

I right clicked a picture, went to properties and where it said 'opens with' I clicked 'change' and selected photo viewer.

Now all my pictures open with a double click instead of having to right click & select 'open with'.

Bloody Microsoft!

Reply to
David Lang

P.S.

Every picture viewer works except this piggin TWINUI whatever the f*ck that is supposed to be.

Reply to
David Lang

I think you could also have done it as I mentioned elsewhere. If when in the 'Open with' menu you can choose the app and (also) check a box that says 'Always use this app' (or similar).

Erm, it's possible that *something* changed it, like something else you installed (accidentally or otherwise)?

Glad you got it sorted though (although I set all my machines (XP-W10) to make Irfanview the default). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Don't seem to have that 'Always use this app' option, bu thanks.

Quite likely accidentally :-(

Reply to
David Lang

I didn't ask at the time because it generally doesn't matter but what version of Windows are we talking about here OOI?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

first hit in google.

It's a known bug windows 8+ fixed exactly as you did.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I set all my machines to use Irfanview. I even paid for a licence.

Reply to
polygonum

For many people it is one of those programs, like Fortes 'Agent' newsreader (well, for those left still using Usenet), or Imgburn.

I also bought Nero as that always seemed to do everything I needed.

Pan is a reasonable clone of Agent (but with a few missing features that are nearly dealbreakers but it's useable) but I don't think there is anything on Linux that matches Irfanview (or wasn't).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m