Circlip retention?

I've just bought an astronomical tripod which uses "E" shaped circlips to retain a spring and a washer around the telescope mounting bolts. There appears to be a properly cut groove in the bolt to take the circlip, but I'm having difficulty getting the circlip to stay in place. If I loose it and the spring, washer combo (out in a dark field at night!), I'll lose quite a bit of functionality, and as it uses USA thread sizes, I'm keen to secure said circlip in place. Have thought of a dab of Superglue, or winding some tinned copper wire around thread adjacent to circlip and soldering copper wire in place.
Any other ideas please
Thanks
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Is it not staying in its groove because it's too big and won't snap into place?
If that's the case, can't you find another circlip which is a bit smaller, and *will* stay in place. Circlips are made in all sorts of shapes and sizes - so I image that there must be something suitable out there somewhere if you look in the right place.
For example, a quick Google search brought up http://www.tfcplc.com/PDFS/ENGLISH/circlips/D3133.pdf
Is this any good?
--
Cheers,
Set Square
Malcolm Stewart wrote on Sunday (25/01/2004) :

If the circlip's groove is too shallow, then file it a bit deeper with a needle file. If the circlip is simply loose, then you should be able to tighten it by squeezing the ends together.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)

No wonder your wife always looks so happy.
--

Phil K.

http://philkyle2003.reachme.at /
message

a dab of silicone adhesive will keep it amazingly well.
MrCheerful
message

Get your money back, have them fix it or explain what you are doing wrong.