cig imports

Hi all. Cigs in the Philippines cost £2.50 for a carton of 200 so significant savings to be had. I have got relatives in the Philippines (wife's side) Can I ask them to send a box of say, 20 cartons of cigs and avoid various duties?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
51

Nope.

There was a recent debacle with the EU about this one related to shipments vs. physical carrying of contraband.

Currently the Philippines is outside the EU, and so duties would apply, plus VAT on shipping cost.

As to newsgroups, this is Do it Yourself as opposed to Doing it to Yourself..... :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

No it doesn't work.

If you paid the duty on importation then the cost benefit would be nullified.

If you try to avoid paying it, cartons of 200 cigs show up very well on Customs X-ray machines, they look like a wrongly bonded brick wall.

If they are declared by the sender customs have no mechanism for a private individual to pay the duty anyway so the cigs are destroyed.

Erm, so they say ... ;-).

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

When is it expected to become part of the EU?

:-)

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

I believe they might be able to send them as a 'gift'. Check it out.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

About the same time that the UK Prime Minister finally figures out that there really isn't a special relationship with the United States.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Still subject to duty because they still have a commercial value (for some curious reason).

Reply to
Andy Hall

Is the risk of cancer Value Added..?

arthur

Reply to
51

Well.... you've heard of the two certainties of life..... :-)

Here they are in one package.

Reply to
Andy Hall

haha.. I'll puff to that.

ar

Reply to
51

So that would be when dubya comes to visit tone, and gorden hides the lubricant again?

Reply to
John Rumm

A recent EU ruling upholds HMC&R's view that any goods not accompanied in person are subject to the full duty due in the destination country.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar