Chipboard grades

I have 8' x 4' sheet of ordinary chipboard. I presume thats its not wet treated and does not have T/G edges. Is it good enough to use as flooring if I cut it so the ends lay on the joists?

thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

The T&G stops the drafts comming throught the gaps, the green cloating makes it sort of water restistant.

I have used normal chipboard to fill in odd shaped holes in floorboards where some itiot has cut a patchowrk out for new wireng.

Use the proper green stuff in wet rooms, even then don't get it wet ..

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

In article , Arthur writes

Builders don't even do that

Reply to
zaax

need to be at least 15, preferably 18mm.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They do. Oh. You mean they leave joints hanging - yes. Ive sen that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are *lots* of things that builders dont do on other people's properties that they would do on their own. Cutting the lengths so that joints are on top of joists is, IMHO, a good thing.

Similarly with wiring- I try and install three-core-plus-earth in lighting circuits because it can make life so easy when you need to change the switching arrangement.

Adding in isolation valves in plumbing can be a godsend too.

There is (of course) a limit to these "contingency" items, but taking a little extra time to ensure that the joints are over joists is very worthwhile in my book.

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo Henning

seen quarter inch ply used once: the floor bent badly as you walked over it :) Some folk eh!

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton