Cheapest upvc windows?

Anglian, they must be with the 80+ % discount they always offer, more if you haggle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not that this is much help in picking a supplier, but I would suggest that you look for a local distributor/manufacturer so that if they get anything wrong you can deal directly with them rather than via long distance carrier.

We sourced locally and when they sent the wrong glass for one window it was straightforward to go and pick up the replacement.

The local free papers will be full of adverts for windows, and (depending on where you are) the local industrial estates are likely to have suppliers.

If you can, ask a local builder. I don't think many builders source their windows from the big names who target home owners.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

set. The cheapest is the local plastic co. at the all the local window installers use, they just add 100% or more to that price

Reply to
zaax

+1 Quite right.

The real cheapies don't have enough metal reinforcement in and can distort in a few years, esp. the big opening ones & doors. So you need to see a previous installation that is a few years old.

Reply to
harry

the cheapest but failry good value. The frames are well made - I ordered

4 identically sized ones and they are indeed identical.

You can play with the pricing on that site - and see the options and how they affect the price.

And they do answer the phone straight away if you have any technical questions.

Reply to
Tim Watts

There are basic ways to avoid the problem.

Measure twice, measure the opening at different points and measure the diagnonals - openings are seldom perfectly square.

You then normally take 10mm off both measurements. Undersized is less disasterious than oversized - foam and trim will sort out the gap.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I learnt the other week that wood grain finish *usually* has steel in to compensate for the extra heating and distortion potential in direct sun.

White often does not have steel unless you buy super high quality extrusions or specify it up front (which you can do).

Reply to
Tim Watts

go to a local glazier and ask.

I went to get a custom shower made out of toughened glass. Their DG window prices were half what the 'trade' places offered. As were their prices for shower glass!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When I looked for quotes for *only* three windows they told me that it was too small an order to achieve any discount.

They were about 200% more than the next most expensive.

this was 15 years ago

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Where did you learn that? Probably FUD from a supplier trying to sell you their expensive extrusions.

Even basic white extrusions that I have bought have always had steel reinforcement.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The Selecta Advance 70 profiles used by the supplier that TimW recommended earlier, does offer recycled PVU reinforcing bars as an alternative to steel, the supplier's website doesn't say which they use, presumably they'd tell if asked, they look up-front and reputable.

Andy Burns

From the company I quoted. Didn'y sound like FUD.

I have 2 cheap windows upstairs that are coming out - they have no steel either.

So it is my perception basic quality white has no steel.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ask what and whose profile it is, then look it up. Suppliers seem to have decent cut away drawings or pictures of the frames.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I heard that about wood grain too. The opening ones all have to have some metal for the hinge screws.

Reply to
harry

Having drilled mine ready fo rthe frame fixings, I can confirm the steel is at least 1mm thick, maybe 1.5mm and it appears to be box section (though could be C section, hard to see).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Do they do just one or two?

Reply to
mogga

I have thomson directory on my desk still so will ring up someone tomorrow

The url someone posted for

is already half the price of a unit I'd seen elsewhere so if I can get it cheaper than that even better! :)

Thanks all! :))

Reply to
mogga

And they will still be more expensive than a local company, usually by at least 100%.

Reply to
Ilene D'over

In message , tim..... writes

They used to come a poor second to Everest when it came to expensive.

Reply to
bert