Cheap router tables

Has anyone used the Clarke CRT1, as per

realise that it is bound to be cheap and nasty, but if it is usable, albeit awkwardly, then it's the right price for my current needs.

Essentially, I'm after a table for two or three small jobs, spread over long enough that hiring would either be uneconomic or need more organisation than I can manage. If I then want a decent table, I'm quite happy to either cannibalise this for a homebrew job or write it off/resell and buy a decent one.

Obviously though, even at forty quid, it would be nice to know that the Clarke isn't totally unusable before I've taken it out of the box.

Regards

John

Reply to
john.sabine

it does the job well enough, no bad habits.

If you are after el cheapo then Makro had some Nu Tool kits for around £40 including the router, don't know if they still have them. B&Q Warehouse had some cheap combination packages as well.

Worth getting a router to leave permanently in the table, it becomes a real pain getting it in and out.

Cue Andy Hall to suggest a gold plated £500+ jobby :-)

Dave

Reply to
david lang

I find that a router with fewer bells and whistles is right for a table. I use a Freud 2000E, as it is 1900Watts, has electronic speed control, the collet winds down to the bottom of the faceplate obviating the temptation to put the cutter in short, and it has a fine height adjuster as standard.

As to tables, I made my own, but I used a bit of old worktop with a hole in it for ages.

R.

Reply to
Richard A Downing

Au contraire.

You should always match tool qualities - so there would be little point in a £500 router and £40 table.

Actually, even the Festool is under £400.

For a router table, a permanently fitted router makes the most sense, so something with easy tool change and fine height adjustment are the most important criteria, followed by speed adjustment range (low end with torque to cover the larger cutters safely).

Therefore, as always, a sensibly specified router in the £150-200 range such as a Freud would be the appropriate choice.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well, I think I've got a decent match here then - =A340 table and a twenty quid Homebase router (well, thirty, then in the sale a few years ago .=2E.)

That makes sense, but will have to wait until I grow out of my current setup ... ie when I'm limited by it rather than my own skills ...

John

Reply to
john.sabine

In many cases if you want the best table, make your own.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've used the Nutool for quite a few jobs - quite good enough for me!

Reply to
Homer2911

Reply to
john.sabine

Well, it's currently in its box. Will get round to having a play with it soon, and try to remember to report back here.

Depends how often you're doing it ...

John

Reply to
john.sabine

Make your own

Andy Dingley

Do people pay =A3500 for routers? At that price, and if you need a table, you should be looking at a spindle moulder which is a far superior tool in almost every way. cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman