Router tables.

With the amount of woodwork I have been doing recently, a good purchase for me would be a router. Presumably when hand held, these are not particularly easy to use (say for putting a door rebate in a piece of 4x2"). So, looking at both Screwfix, and MachineMart catalogues, they have a few 'budget' router tables. Some look better than others. These have got to be the way to go when using a router? Or a complete waste of time and money? Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

WHAT! "Presumably when hand held, these are not particularly easy to use"

only in the wrong hands

The 4x2 in a wormate is all thats needed. A router table is for more intricate mouldings that require large bits and an half inch router. Putting a rebate in wood does not necessary need a table to do it.

Reply to
George

Router tables come into their own when using large routers with large diameter bits on long timbers - i.e. running off mouldings.

They're also good if you make up a crosscut sled to cut end mouldings.

Some people make every possible wood joint on them - and very neatly - but that does require the patience of Job. I see router tables more as small and lightweight spindle moulders.

I bought the CMT table from Axminster - which is very nice - but with hindsight I'd probably make my own.

Reply to
dom

================================== For the example you give (rebate in 4" x 2") a circular saw - either bench or hand-held - would be quicker. Two passes through the saw will leave you with a perfect rebate and a cleanly cut out strip of spare timber. Doing the same job with a router would leave you with a pile of wood chips blowing in the breeze.

It would be a good idea to buy a cheap basic router and experiment to see what you can do with various bits before you consider a table. Some jobs are best done with a hand-held, some are better done on a table. Some of the cheap tables have rather crude fastenings for the router which could work loose with dangerous consequences.

One of the Machine Mart tables which appears to be a new version of an earlier one that was on sale briefly has an integral router so it should be more secure:

you've got a pillar drill you can use it as a bench router with a simple table attached to the drill table.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

If your main intended use is to be able to do operations such as a rebates in long lengths of 100x50mm timber, you would be better off with supporting the timber on a flat bench or equivalent and using the router hand held, possibly with a jig to support the base. Sometimes said jigs come with or are available for routers, but it's easy to make one if not.

I began with using a router table with a 12.7mm router some while ago. It is interesting for fairly small work involving cutting of mouldings etc. or for work like panel raising and cope and stick joints - e.g. on making cupboard doors. These can involve quite large cutters which would not be very safe or satisfactory to use in a handheld router. However, the size of the pieces is then generally fairly small and can be reasonably supported on the typical router table.

If you do a bit of searching around router tables and components, you'll find that there are quite a few home made and retrofit designs around. For example, it's quite popular in the U.S. to fit a router table plate in a special mount to a table saw or to a bench. This gives a much more stable support arrangement allowing safer use and better control than a small table.

Nowadays, I have a combination machine with spindle moulder built in that can take router cutters, so that I no longer really use the portable table. However, if I were doing the exercise over again, I wouldn't buy one of these portable jobs, but would go for one of the insert type of solutions and build a standalone table or fit something to a bench in some way. Results would be far more satisfactory.

If anything, I would suggest starting with a good quality 12.7mm router such as one based on the Elu design (DeWalt 625, Trend, CMT), Bosch, Makita or for something still good but less expensive Freud - certainly nothing in the sub £120 range.

After that, I'd suggest buying a good book on routing, routing techniques and jigs.

I think that you would get a lot more out of that.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It would indeed. Don't buy a shed cheapie though, it will put you off routers.

Surprisingly easy to use free hand with a little practice. Do buy an instructional book or DVD though.

Tables are an 'add on' to a router, useful for edge mouldings & odd jobs. Buy the router first,

I have a 20 year old 850 watt Makita 3620. I've bought B&Q and Homebase

1200 watt routers since and they sit on the shelf, I use the Makita. No electronic speed control, no soft start just an excellent machine.
tables are dead easy to make for yourself. For many years I used one made from scrap plywood clamped into a workmate.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Most of the interesting uses for a router _require_ a table, either because you need the fence, or because the cutter is big enough to need the rigidity of a fixed router.

Don't waste money on a router table. They're nearly all garbage and they're easy to make yourself. Good ones are expensive.

Andy Dingley

I've bought two and made two over the years. The home-made ones were definitely better!

Reply to
Bob Martin

I built one myself after years of using an old worktop with a hole in it balanced on two trestles. My present one looks amazingly like this one from a US TV show:

not as pretty!

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

You don't happen to wear lumberjack shirts, have a beard and look as if you fell out of the ugly tree hitting every branch on the way down, as well do you? :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall