Cheap ni-mh battery heads up ...

Homebase selling off packs of four 600mah recharrgeable batteries AA size for .43p a pack.....

Reply to
Jimbo /p

A halfpenny's quite cheap...

I can't really see the appeal though. High drain things will last much longer with 2000mAh+ NiMHs. Low drain things won't last long because they'll be flat after a month due to self-discharge (unless they're LSD types). So there's a pretty small window in the middle where a low-capacity self-discharging NiMH would come in useful.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

AA - 600 mAhr?

600 mAHr is about 300 mAhr smaller than yer average AAA...

AA's are normally above 2000 mAhr, most nearer 3000 mAhr.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Plus the terminal voltage is only about 1.2V per cell fully charged. Yesterday's technology.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

...with yesterdays price

Reply to
Jimbo /p

. . . is what I was thinking. Hence the 43p, I suspect.

Reply to
RJH

Cheap, but still not worth it.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

what /... 10p a battery?

Reply to
Jimbo /p

As Theo has pointed out, the range of suitable applications where these kind of cells shine is extremely narrow. But if you already own such a device/devices as is/are optimised for this technology, then by all means go for it and buy a load of 'em.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

They are the size and capacity they fit in a lot of solar lamps. They are probably intended as replacements.

Reply to
dennis

IME they self discharge in nearer 6 months

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

that is what they are labled as...NOT to be used in any other device...tee hee

Reply to
Jimbo /p

Nope. generally 2200 is about the tops for nimh and 400-600 is about right for nicd

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Very rare to see NiCd in any event, and many including budget brands are nudging (published) 3000:

RJH

You are Blue Bottle AICMFP! :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

I can see a solar lamp as a good application: a) There isn't enough sun to fill a 2000mAh in a day, so no need for extra capacity b) They get one cycle per day, so the cycle count is quite high c) Self discharge isn't a problem, because they'll be discharged by morning anyway d) They get cooked and frozen, so probably need regular replacement

So for that application they sound good value.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I use them in anything that doesn't need more capacity, and they do surprisingly well.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Which is above 2000. B-)

But the OP says NiMH.

All the AAA NiMH's I have are around 900 mAhr, note AAA.

The AA's either around 2100 or down at 1200. The former are mostly lidaldi, the latter came with some thing.

600 mAhr for a AA NiMH is pathetic...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

who is blue bottle? ...