Makita 12v Ni-MH pod style battery rebuilding

I have a couple of Makita 12v pod style batteries that are pretty much shot. The model# 1233. Has anyone ever taken these apart without destroying the casing? What would be the best way to do it? I'm very handy with a soldering iron, batteries and multimeter (fly electric RC). I would much rather make my own pack than have someone else do it. Thanks Greyhound

Reply to
Grey-hound

The tabs on the individual cells in a battery pack are usually spot-welded together. You can solder them but you have a much greater risk of heat damaging the cells. Most industrial battery stores, or suplliers like

will provide the cells welded, assembled, and shrink-wrapped in the configuration you need for little or no extra cost over the price of the individual cells.

Reply to
mp

I've done the deed to the 9.6 stick batteries. Used a piece of copper wire pounded to flat cross section then stuck in a weller gun style soldering gun. Cut the case at the bottom (on the 9.6 that's where the bond line is) Then used abs pipe cement to reglue the joint - got the cells from batteryspace.com- they were subc cells (1.8 amp/hr) I froze the cells then did a quickie solder on the tops to keep the heat from destroying the plastic seal located on the top. Some guys use desoldering braid for the connector between cells (if the cells are bought untabbed). That sounds iffy to me as a stray strand might ground the cell!! Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Reply to
clutch

I think you are trying to break it open along ultra sonic bond line or something like that. Freezing the thing and rapping it on a work bench often breaks things open. At least it works for many Amateur radio batt packs.

Wish you well,

Kc8spr

Reply to
clutch