New SCMS but lost my laser

I just switched to a Makita 10 sliding MS from my Craftsman 10". The Craftsman was a fine saw and I really had no complaints with it other than capacity. The Craftsman is one of those laser-loc (correct marketing term??) equiped saws. And over time I really enjoyed the feature. It was the kind that replaces the LH blade washer and comes on when the saw is started.

I tried to take the laser unit from the Craftsman and put it on my new Makita but the blade cover linkage gets in the way...the laser washer is a tad too thick to clear. I tried removing the linkage (and the blade guard) and then the laser fits fine, and works great. The line it projects is right on the money (the laser line right edge is where the blade hits the work). After a few test cuts I decided the laser wasn't a good trade for the blade guard so it's back to stock form.

So is there anyone out there that has found a aftermarket laser system they are happy with. Particularly one for the Makita SCMS. My brother bought a laser kerf system for his older MS but he says sometimes it gets bumped and you have to re-calibrate it again...a bit of a PITA. So it didn't sound too good. But thought you guys may have some input. Thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark