Changing direction of soil vent

Hi all, new to this group so apologies if this has been covered to death, did check the archives first...

Got a bathroom in dire need of a refit. 1st floor flat, nothing above me aside from my attic space. Bods below me share the same layout as me and hence I suspect share the soil pipe in the bathroom.

The current arrangement puts the soil pipe partway into the room against one wall, ie about 50cm in from the corner, running up into the loft space and out via a conventional vent. This is quite inconvenient so I was thinking of moving it - not really an option with it being shared and a concrete floor etc, so my next thought was to leave the 'wet' section as is, but put a couple of 90 degree bends into the vent bit, ie: above the highest discharge point. This would allow me to route the SVP to the corner and up into the loft space to reconnect with it there (this allows me to knock down a false wall and potentially make better use of that space.

I've seen many threads mentioning these Durgo/Dergo devices and how they can be used to effectively do away with SVPs. Is there a minimum height that the stack must protrude from the highest entry point before fitting one? Presumably there is to allow for flooding etc?

I haven't decided to do this yet but just considering options - if I can do this, I may free up some space for changing the layout. Alternatively I could I suppose put a 90 degree bend into the soil pipe and move the main connections into that further along the wall into the corner?

Any thoughts?

Cheers Brian

Reply to
bmca

You could make the upper section a smaller diameter pipe to be less obtrusive.

They should be fitted above the highest flood level, usually the wash hand basin. If you have a blockage and the basin is left full of water you can take the Air Admittance Valve off without all the trapped water escaping.

I've just fitted one to allow me to remove the upper section of soil pipe but took the risk and fitted it a bit lower since you can always drain the basin by undoing the trap (it *is* above the flood level of the WC pan). It works very well but makes quite a strange low frequency noise when you flush.

You may have other restrictions if it's a shared pipe and may need to check with building control.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

| Hi all, new to this group so apologies if this has been covered to | death, did check the archives first... |=20 | Got a bathroom in dire need of a refit. 1st floor flat, nothing above | me aside from my attic space. Bods below me share the same layout as | me and hence I suspect share the soil pipe in the bathroom.

How about an Air Admittance Valve

used one myself, but I have seen several in use.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop Register your mobile phone=20 IMEI *free* on

Keep the username and password. =20 If it gets stolen report it your provider to get it blocked. To hopefully get it back report on
or 08701 123 123.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop