changing cooker control switch (with socket) into double socket

As subject really .

Any gotchas?

Are the wires likely to fit in a standard double socket's terminals?

What about the presumably enormous backbox for the enormous existing faceplate?

Ought else?

TIA

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Yes - 13A sockets should take a single 6mm2 wire per terminal.

It is fused at 32A - right? if not, stop here...

Assuming so...

Is it the older enormous type or a double?

If the former, it woul dbe easier to leave it as a combined 13A socket and cooker switch.

If the latter, double 13A socket - quite legit as a standard (albeit very rare) 32A radial circuit.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Swap it for a normal 2g backbox!

Reply to
ARW

Not specially. Check to see what its fused at.

Depends on how old it is... there was a time that cooker points were worthy of something you would see in a Frankenstein movie and about a foot tall, by 8" wide. More modern examples fit the footprint of a double socket. So if yours is such then reuse the existing backbox. The extra depth will help rather than hinder - especially if the cable is particularly large.

Reply to
John Rumm

With protruding bolts & sound effects?

Reply to
Adam Funk

A good quality one, yes. A Wickes own brand one, no.

If it's the enormous style

then easier to leave it in place and continue the cable to separately mounted sockets.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

A good quality one, yes. A Wickes own brand one, no.

If it's the enormous style

then easier to leave it in place and continue the cable to separately mounted sockets.

Owain/q

Yup that's the f***er but this has a round pin socket..... I know...

Do you think they want this one for their collection?!

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Cute :-)

I'm sure Flameport would appreciate photos; they don't collect physical items.

Someone on ebay might like the original.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Mine used aluminium wire, very unexpected!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Until I read this thread, I hadn't realised they had changed format, which rather raises the question of why a switch that used to require a box the size of a substation is now OK in a regular sized format. It certainly makes a neater job but I'd have thought the biggest challenge with a regular double box would be persuading the cable back into the box after wiring up a socket (or a cooker connection). It's enough of a struggle with 2.5mm T+E sometimes. Certainly a deep back box would help.

Reply to
GMM

Is the size more to do with the realisation that AC switches did not need to be fast make and break?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I am pretty sure that other posters here other than me would like to see a a photo on the wiki.

Reply to
ARW

Yes - you need a 45mm deep box.

Reply to
Tim Watts

47mm?

And why do back boxes have such odd sizes? 16mm, 25mm, 35mm and 47mm. And the plastic pattress versions are random depths depending on the manufacturer.

Reply to
ARW

Suppose they come from imperial, 5/8", 1", 1 and 3/8", 1 and 7/8", so all 3/8" increments rounded to nearest mm

Is it usual for the dual boxes to *not* have any adjustable lugs, or did I just choose an el-cheapo one?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Interesting observation.

They NEVER have adjustable lugs AFAIK.

Reply to
ARW

Except, whoops that last step is 1/2" not 3/8"

Reply to
Andy Burns

The 60.3mm centres on a 1 gang wiring accessory comes from 2 3/8"

Reply to
Andy Burns

...If you get a convenient choice, on a white background is best.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yes.