CH Y-strainers

Hello,

What are the group's options on fitting these strainers? I know if the get blocked they reduce flow but isn't it better to block the strainers than the boiler? I kn ow some people swear by magnacleans but they only catch anything magnetic; what if there's something non magnetic present? If they are useful, what size is best? I see BES sell them with 260 micron and 500 micron meshes. Toolstation sell a

400 micron mesh.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

On Oct 2, 11:30=A0am, Stephen

You could cause problems(eg pump failure, boiler overheating) from the reduced flow rate if the Y strainer blocked - which they do very easily. If you must fit a filter then use a Spirovent version.

Reply to
dvstarling

If there's enough crud in the system to be bothered about they'll block up at the first hint of it and you'll be forever emptying tiny amounts of stuff out in order to get the system working again. The magnetic cleaners probably do the best job of filtering out large amounts of magnetic crud (which is probably most of it), but if you're really worried Sentinel do a larger capacity filter for all stuff - non-magnetic as well as magnetic. I think Screwfix carry them.

Mind you if you've got large amounts of crud in your system the best thing to do really is flush it out and dose the system to stop more being evolved!

Reply to
YAPH