Carpet whipping / binding

Just had some fitted carpets done and got some spare so wanted to try and bind for some doormats etc as it looks easy enough. I have been trying to source `whipping` supplies but the cheapest is around £3.80 per metre so a 6` x 3` carpet would cost over £20 to bind the edges which I reckon is expensive for DIY.

Anyone else tried this or know where best to get supplies.

thanks

Reply to
ss

Why not use ordinary knitting wool?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Or gaffer tape.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Fabric strip is another option.

It is also possible to use pva if you only want to stop it fraying. PVA set s too stiff, but with repeated walking it softens up nicely.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Wouldn't Copydex be a better bet - IIRC people used to use it for that purpose.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Just had some fitted carpets done and got some spare so wanted to try and bind for some doormats etc as it looks easy enough. I have been trying to source `whipping` supplies but the cheapest is around £3.80 per metre so a 6` x 3` carpet would cost over £20 to bind the edges which I reckon is expensive for DIY.

Anyone else tried this or know where best to get supplies.

thanks

A few years back I had carpet fitted to my hall. There were bits left over and my supplier (a family business) did two door mats for me free of charge. So, it might be worth while asking your supplier. After all, nothing ventured nothing gained!

Alaric

Reply to
Alaric

Why not just paint the underside of the edges with PVA?

Reply to
harryagain

Yes some good ideas but one problem that stands between them and implementing is a wife :-( She is hell bent on me doing a proper binding job. I will try a small test piece with PVA as I have that at hand, maybe she will be convinced.

Reply to
ss

sets too stiff, but with repeated walking it softens up nicely.

Yes in that its soft, is it tough enough though? I dont know.

You can get fabric strip called bias binding.

NT

Reply to
meow2222