Car heating

So I gather - which is why I don't plan to use paraffin heaters in the garage at any time.
PoP
PoP wrote:

Further thought; cross post to alt.fan.landrover
You may be diverted into spending SERIOUS money on an Erspracher heater ;-)
Richard
Webasto make a small diesel heater intended for coaches and larger cars and BMW part prepare for these at manufacture on the 3 litre diesels - they are remote controlled and presettable to come on for 10 to 60 mins, heat the coolant, have their own circulating pump and a low volts cut off so you can still start the engine - seems to give about 6Kw output and use about 6 amps at 12 volts and uses the vehicles diesel for fuel. (you preset the fan speed and temp)
Intended for not only warming the engine but also the interior of the car to defrost it on icy mornings and it works very well.
It can also be used to switch the interior blower only on (you have to pre-set the speed) to cool the car on hot days 10 or 20 mins before you get to it - the remote has a range of a quoted 600 metres which seems remarkable.
I am sure you could buy these from Webasto or one of their agents but again probably quite pricey (500 ? I would hazard a guess )
Nick

and BMW part

controlled and

I rigged one of these up in my Chevy Blazer. Point an infra red controller at the car and the heaters came on running off the spare battery. You can point at the car from office windows.

Hadn't thought of that - thanks!
PoP