Can you believe this email

Most people know what I do - repair pcbs and fans for central heating boilers. The item in question is a fan that costs around £180 which I send out for £50

"Good Morning,                           I am interested in purchasing the above ref part for my Boiler as depicted on your web page - Stelrad Ideal 2 60 F (Wall Hung Compact model). As this is for a direct replacement, could you absolutely confirm the part number is as quoted-GC319037 -complete Fan Assembly!(makers part number-from parts list in Boiler manual=

589945011) ? I have read your Terms and conditions and appreciate that as a refurbished part it attracts only a twelve month warranty but could you advise that the part should be in good-if not perfect- working order and can expect some longevity from it. As I say I have an order to place if you can comment back about the issues raised. Your earliest reply would be appreciated,"
Reply to
geoff

Walk away. Send him to Manufactures to buy new.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I'd reply as follows:

Thank you for your query.

The part number we are supplying is as per our web-page. You need to satisfy yourself that this is the correct part. We cannot cross-reference every part-number used in every situation.

You might add ( if generous ):

If the part is not correct, we will accept it for return if it is in as-shipped condition, and will refund you the purchase price. We will not pay the return postage.

In regard to your longevity question: We do warrant that the part is in good working order, and our 12 month warranty applies.

Thank you for your query.

-----

This is a fairly polite 'F*ck off.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Thanks for the confirmation - that's exactly what I did

Reply to
geoff

That's pretty a steep P&P charge. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

In message , Tim Downie writes

I've gone upmarket

Reply to
geoff

"That's terrible news", he says. "I'd like a second opinion".

"OK", says the doctor, and thinks about it for a while. "You're also pug-ugly".

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I removed the PCB from a (working) Floor Standing Worcester HighFlow Heatslave - Happy to give it to you for the P&P if it is of any use.

Reply to
John

After 11 years of shop and on-line re/e-tailing you get a feel for the customers you really don't want to deal with. Selling new is made worse by that damn Dominic Littlewood (though I really like his shows). We have a policy of giving best quote first and every subsequent request for extra discount actually reduces discount which is easily factored into shipping costs. ;¬)

Pete

--

's Leading supplier of home and commercial Gym Equipment
WaterRower deals in the whole of the land.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I can't see what's wrong with this email. He's asking the seller to confirm whether the part is the right one. What's so strange about that?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

It's the pomposity of it which comes out at me. I might almost suspect that the guy was some legal wally, but then I'm more thinking he's a plonker that thinks he's going to get a better service if he uses long words and fancy phrases. The danger I see with either type is that if there is some sort of hassle, you are going to get really hassled.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Do a Currys and up sell him an (expensive) extended warranty?

Sounds the nervous sort to me. Educated before the 70s and had got the other half nagging him ...

Reply to
Adrian C

I hear the words "sale of goods act" presenting themselves at Geoff's inbox if the fan fails in less than 6 years time.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I didn't see any long words or fancy phrases in there. I have sent similar queries to suppliers for computer bits and always had had replies, either saying yes it is compatible or no, but try this instead.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

I agree that it seems like a nervous customer.

Geoff - why not just send a succinct and polite short reply confirming that the part is correct and whilst your firm always endeavour to recondition parts to a high standard, it is a reconditioned part at a reconditioned price with a 1 year warranty and leave it at that. If he orders fine, if he wibbles again then suggest new-from-manufacturer part may be mre to his taste.

2 emails at most, 50% chance of a sale.

Of course - if you are worried he'll hassle you until you die, then he'll hassle your ghost, then you have to let your instinct decide that one.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Genuine question, how far does the Sale of Goods Act apply to replacement component parts?

Especially since incorrect reassembly, wear and other faults in the rest of the appliance can adversly affect a new part.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Ah, you mean "actually educated" then.

I can't see anything wrong with the e-mail either. Pretty straightforward format for business dealings. Maybe words of more than one syllable upset people nowadays, especially if they're spelt proper and that.

Reply to
stuart noble

thinking

really

Surely if that was the case he wouldn't be worried about the length of the warranty as it's not relevant...

I read it as a request for confirmation that part "GC319037" from Geoff's website is the same as the "589945011" that he has listed in the manual for a particular make/model of boiler. The longevity question simply cannot be answered other than in general terms, confidence in the product as a 12 month warranty is given blah blah... Does the manufacturer offer a longer warranty on spares?

The construction, wording and use of English is a little odd. But many people struggle with the written word, particularly when trying to be formal, precise and correct.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Nor I. No doubt it comes over a bit officious, but anyone would think there aren't any cowboy traders, operating online. He's simply looking for human confirmation of what is claimed.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Clearly I'm in the minority but I'm not seeing what's wrong with his e- mail! :-)

Perhaps he's been warned off buying reconditioned parts and just wants nudging in direction he clearly wants to by you saying that your 12mth guarantee doesn't necesarily mean you only expect it to last that long, simply that's your no-quibble warranty period, and that there's no reason it shouldn't last as long as any other (even new) pump - if not longer depending on what parts you use in the reconditioning! Of course you cannot guarantee this, but it's always to hear such assuming there's honesty behind the claims.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton