Buying replacement double glazing panels.

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
Hi, I have some 12yr(ish) UPVC panels that have leaked, looking at
replacing them on a budget.   I have taken them out of the frames and
measured them, but I can't find anyone online that sells them. (Google
just brings up an endless list of Double glazing fitters and
con-merchants).

Any good online suppliers of basic replacement UPVC glass units?

--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail /

Re: Buying replacement double glazing panels.
I recently spent some time trying to find an on-line supplier, and could
not find any. In the end, I bought from a company about 15 miles away.
Even they weren't easy to find, most of the local companies are more
interested in selling and installing whole new windows.

Re: Buying replacement double glazing panels.
really? our locals (Bury St Edmunds) are happy to sell you anything as
along as its to do with glass.

Re: Buying replacement double glazing panels.
Yes what is that all about? I am just putting up with a tiny crack and a bit
of condensation as the big pane  seems to be unavailable except for more
than a whole new window is, cannot be right surely?

Brian

--
Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Re: Buying replacement double glazing panels.
no. For a good reason. You dot want to transport them ,iles .

simply take them to a local glazing firm. Nearly all of tehm (there are
at least two I know of in my local town) will make them up and either
deliver them to you, or into the back of our car or van.

Re: Buying replacement double glazing panels.
There are several suppliers offering these made to measure on ebay, and
a search for double glazing units comes up with several companies.

If you are dealing with local suppliers in person or on the phone I
think it might help to be very clear when specifying what you need as if
you are in the business of fitting them. I suspect that these companies
may be reluctant to deal with people who appear not to know what they
want or don't seem confident about measuring up, handling and
transporting etc.

Re: Buying replacement double glazing panels.
I just had to replace a small one which cracked in the very
cold weather. I asked a local high street glass company.
Cost was 20 for the unit alone, or 80 to supply and fit.
This was plain glass, 4-20-4mm IIRC, (not toughened, not K).
Both cases included coming out to measure it first, which was
an advantage of being local.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Re: Buying replacement double glazing panels.
Nope, it's one of those things (that don't fit in a small padded bag)
where local suppliers rule.

Search for 'glass merchants' (pref wholesale) in your area and talk a
good game to get the best price.

Don't go to glaziers, they buy in sealed units these days so you'll be
adding their margin to any purchase.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Re: Buying replacement double glazing panels.
And the people they buy them from won't deal with punters. If they do
they'll charge them the retail price so as not to upset their regular
customers i.e. the glaziers.
Whatever the standard is now (28mm?) is normally the only thickness
you'll find, but a local DG repair firm will no doubt have a source for
custom made units. IME such firms are not expensive and carry all those
bits and bobs that are hell to source

Re: Buying replacement double glazing panels.
That's not my experience, the supplier labels on the DG units waiting
for fitting at my local glazier (nice bloke, still go to him for small
single pane stuff) are the same as those on a single replacement unit
that Joe the handyman bought and fitted to a relative's porch when they
had a breakage. The supplier is a big local outfit and they are happy to
have the volume to keep their line running.

If you do your research, know what you want and particularly if you have
a number of units to purchase then I find them very happy to deal with
the little guy although I always approach them as the fictitious 'fred
the handyman' rather than fred the uncertain house owner.

I'm sure that big users get more discount but I've never felt stiffed on
price.

Also, I've had no bother having units made up to various thicknesses.

Maybe it's being near a big city that helps.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Re: Buying replacement double glazing panels.
Can't help with online, but my local supplier, Balham Glass, had them made
up for me. Reasonable cost too.

--
*If God dropped acid, would he see people?

    Dave Plowman        dave@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread

Site Timeline