Bungalow progress

Rather that another question (the answrs to which I am eternally grateful...), here's an update (photos later, sorry)

Got into a log jam fixing teh bungalow - too much stuff happening at once. Hired a skilled labourer/builder to work with me - very cost effective and a second pair of hands and a source of good ideas, but I stay in charge and still doing stuff. Seems a most suitable arrangement - should have done this a month back!

*********

Fitted a small uPVC window today (matey's pair of hands were extremely useful while I drilled the frame fixings). Used 6 of these:

make the basic fix. Highly recommend. Just need to buy some brown caps.

Will inject PU expanding foam around window frame tomorrow and silicon beading on Sat. Learnt that PVC windows (may) have steel frame inside, drill the pilot holes on the ground, not up in the air. Get sharper drill bit.

To be honest, putting the glass in was more painful. Had a plastic tapping block and a plastic faced mallet left over from a laminate flooring job years ago. They knocked the strip in OK, but it was a bugger to keep the DG glass unit central whilst doing this. Learnt to use the little wedge thingies to pack up the DG unit and bang the top strip in first. this holds the glass, take packing out, do bottom, then sides.

Do not do sides first. Made bent ended screwdriver tool (soften, bend, quench harden) to hook out the DG retaining strip. Bah.

Anyway, worked out in the end. Looks quite nice, is square, plumb and closes properly. Slight imperfection on the trim but the missus won't notice. Might reseat that once I get a proper trim popping out tool.

*******

Got two 50mm pipes core drilled through wall, one for bath and one for kitchen. 1:30 fall on kitchen (median-ish by building regs) and 1:60 on bath (should be 1:55, but needs must - it's a *long* run without much height to play with and with only the bath, it won't be a major problem.)

*******

Tank for thermal store came. All in order. 250 litres of multi-tapped goodness is now wrapped in cling film to keep the chasing dust out of it.

Amazingly, tappings ended up in right places, despite my lousy drawing. Full marks to Newark Copper Cylinders (hello Tom and Mike!).

Need to prat around with the tank base (now 4 high of 44x94mm PAR stacked and screwed and topped with 18mm WBP ply - we want to get a waste pipe under it). Floor bent. Me and matey decided it was more of a winner to plane down the bearer stacks until it's level (3mm or so) than try to latex the floor (and watch it crack off when 1/4 ton of water turns up on it).

*******

Matey did an excellent job clearing old builder's crap and spoil mounds in the garden and dug down to the drains and removed a gulley that didn't end up in a good position (my fault). I decided to reuse the tee into the sewer as a take off for a vent pipe (82mm) as I'd forgotton about this too!.

We install the main pipe tomorrow (>3m from opening windows or 900mm above as per building regs). When I get the 45degree solvent offsets from the pond place, I'll do the outturn round the gutter and the 900mm bit next week!

Gulley can go onto a new tapping into manhole when I get a digger in later.

*******

BT coming tomorrow to live up the line. As I'm being done for 120 to live up a dead line, I'm getting them to remount the catenery hook on the wall rather than the soffit (costs no more).

DSL goodness coming soon. Will be able to compile Screwfix etc orders on site which will be easier than getting home and forgetting everything.

Marked up the front room and matey has done half the chasing. He gets through a lot - only had him for 3.5 days! Totally worth the money I pay him :) I'll be able to lay the conduit and plaster soon.

That's all folks...

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

FYI (if you don't already know), the trade use these:

to install windows.

You can get 'em off ebay among other places.

Dave Osborne

Dave Osborne coughed up some electrons that declared:

make life easier. Shall look out on ebay in case there are some cheaper ones.

Dave - do you know where to get a tool to remove internal trim/bead? I'd like to have a second go at packing the DG units. Don't want to damage the trim with home made tools(!).

Ta

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

you can see, a bead lifter is either a striping knife or a filling knife (i.e. hard or flexible steel thicker or thinner blade) - I'd give both a go and see which gets the better result. Probably start with the flexible filling knife.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Tim, just read your other thread. I see you've already found this product...

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Dave Osborne coughed up some electrons that declared:

Thanks anyway Dave. I've got a wide selection of stripping knives and a putty knife - I will definately demount one of the opening bits, get it on the table and have a go (carefully!)

Ordered some more packers from the shop I got the windows from - they'll be in tomorrow.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Photos...

New vent stack - waiting for 2nd 45 degree bend to arrive, in order to outturn round gutter and go about 1m into the air:

how we did it:

room floor dug out to correct depth ready for blinding sand, 100mm concrete, 75mm celotex and 70mm screed:

line re-hung and routed through shiney new conduit (BT man was impressed :) Despite the besa box being slightly off vertical (bloody rustic bricks - guaranteed drill wander!)

lived up and awaiting DSL.

And the window...

with protective thingy - until I finish wibbling with it...

Enjoy...

Tim

Reply to
Tim S